Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Christopher L Selzo <cl...@us.ibm.com> on 2012/08/09 20:07:10 UTC

504 errors when loading multiple copies of a gadget on a page?

I am encountering an issue where loading multiple copies of the same gadget
on a page results in 504 errors.  I am using the latest 2.5 Shindig.  My
test involves 10 copies of the gadget:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Module>
    <ModulePrefs title="Home" >
        <Require feature="opensocial" version="2.5" />
        <Require feature="dynamic-height" />
        <Require feature="views" />
    </ModulePrefs>
	<Content type="html" view="home, default">
	<![CDATA[
]]>
	</Content>
</Module>

I am using gadget rendering code similar to the Shindig examples
under /Container (createGadget, addGadget, renderGadget).  Some of the
gadgets render correctly, the others come back with a
Unable to retrieve spec for http://XXX/testGadget.xml. HTTP error 504

and the error is
NetworkError: 504 Gateway Timeout -
http://XXX/shindig/gadgets/ifr?container=default&mid=5&nocache=1&country=ALL&lang=ALL&view=default&parent=http%3A%2F%2FXXX%3A9080%2Ftestcre%2Ften-gadgets.html%3A%2F%2FXXX%3A9080&st=john.doe:john.doe:appid:cont:url:0:default&url=http%3A%2F%2FXXX%3A9080%2Ftestcre%2FtestGadget.xml#rpctoken=75940654

Any ideas?

Thanks

Chris Selzo
Software Engineer, Advanced Design and Technology, SWG Strategy

 Phone: 1-919-543-7365                                                                                                              IBM
 E-mail: clselzo@us.ibm.com
 Find me within IBM on: IBM Connections:
 https://w3-connections.ibm.com/profiles/html/profileView.do?key=7de61c9d-79b1-480f-8cea-5a08e376e5be

Re: 504 errors when loading multiple copies of a gadget on a page?

Posted by Kris Vishwanathan <v2...@us.ibm.com>.
Interesting thing is it resolves some instances. In the scenario Chris
tested I saw 10 instances of the same gadget with Shindig and the simple
gadget.xml file on the same server. Atleast 5 of them displays well and
other 5 come back with 504 errors. We tried another proxy by increasing max
host connections but didn't help.

Wondering if there a way to bypass the proxy completely since gadget is on
the same server?

Thanks and regards

Kris Vishwanathan, PMP
Software Architect
IBM Certified & Open Group Master Certified IT Architect
IBM Software Group, Architecture and Technology
Ph: 919 543 1081 (T/L: 441-1081)

"Its the attitude that matters, and made you what you are"

There are 95% of people who ask questions and keeps complaining, only 5% of
people embrace the system  and provide answers, they are the real
differentiators.

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |Stanton Sievers <si...@gmail.com>                                                                                                             |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |dev@shindig.apache.org                                                                                                                            |
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |08/09/2012 04:19 PM                                                                                                                               |
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  |Re: 504 errors when loading multiple copies of a gadget on a page?                                                                                |

Hi Chris,

Making sure you server can resolve its own hostname would be another thing
to check.

You can also turn on FINEST logging for org.apache.shindig in your
webserver to see if anything useful appears in those logs.

Best regards,
-Stanton
On Aug 9, 2012 2:46 PM, "Christopher L Selzo" <cl...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Actually, they are on the same server!  I don't see any error logs
besides
> the 504.
>

> *Chris Selzo*
> Software Engineer, Advanced Design and Technology, SWG Strategy
> ------------------------------
> *Phone:* 1-919-543-7365*
> E-mail:* *clselzo@us.ibm.com* <cl...@us.ibm.com>*
> Find me within IBM on:* [image: IBM Connections:

https://w3-connections.ibm.com/profiles/html/profileView.do?key=7de61c9d-79b1-480f-8cea-5a08e376e5be
]<

Posted by Stanton Sievers <si...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chris,