Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com> on 2009/04/03 16:07:58 UTC

Context and swallowOutput

Hi.

Triggered by a recent comment by Chuck, I would like to use the
"swallowOutput" attribute of the <Context> element, in a specific way :

I am using an external webapp for which I do not have the source code.
This webapp currently does not include a META-INF subdirectory nor then
of course a context.xml file in it.
This webapp also writes debugging messages to system.out and system.err
(presumably, since I am finding them in several logfiles a bit all over).

I would thus like to add a META-INF/context.xml file to this webapp,
with a minimal <Context> element in it, just in order to be able to
specify the swallowOutput attribute in it, without creating any other
side-effects on the behaviour of the application.
Can I do that ?
Is it as simple as :

<Context swallowOutput="true" />

?

RE: Context and swallowOutput

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
> Subject: Context and swallowOutput
>
> Is it as simple as :
> <Context swallowOutput="true" />

Yes.  However, to avoid modifying the webapp structure, I would put the above in conf/Catalina/[host]/[appName].xml, rather than in the webapp's META-INF/context.xml.

 - Chuck