Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Justice Gray <ju...@shaw.ca> on 2003/04/29 00:32:12 UTC

Newbie to Tomcat and JSP: help requested

I recently installed Tomcat 5.0.1 and the Java 1.4.102 SDK.  I have set up
my environment variables properly, or so it seems, as I can run all of the
example jsps with the exception of config.jsp, which gives me an error
(listed below the next paragraph).

Strangely enough, I made a basic HTML file (no JSP code) composed of nothing
but the following:

<head>
<title>My First JSP</title>
</head>

and named it index.html.  When I did this, it was pulled up just fine on my
browser.  However, when I renamed it to index.jsp and restarted Tomcat, I
received the following error (the same one when I tried to run
"config.jsp")...

---
type     Exception report

message

description     The server encountered an internal error () that prevented
it from fulfilling this request.

exception

An error occurred at line: -1 in the jsp file: null

Generated servlet error:
    [javac] Since fork is true, ignoring compiler setting.
    [javac] Compiling 1 source file
    [javac] Since fork is true, ignoring compiler setting.

at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.DefaultErrorHandler.javacError(DefaultErrorHandle
r.java:120)
at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.javacError(ErrorDispatcher.java:3
07)
at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateClass(Compiler.java:410)
at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:450)
at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:434)
at
org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java:5
71)
at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:3
03)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:293)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:240)
at
FilterChain.java:288)
at
ain.java:206)
at
va:294)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContex
t.java:151)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:490)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:1020)
at
va:196)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContex
t.java:151)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:490)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:1020)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(StandardContext.java:2625)
at
)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContex
t.java:151)
at
java:171)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContex
t.java:149)
at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:172
)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContex
t.java:149)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:490)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:1020)
at
:163)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContex
t.java:151)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:490)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:1020)
at org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:196)
at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:612)
at
ction(Http11Protocol.java:430)
at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:565)
at
a:623)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)
---

Any ideas on what could be wrong?
Thanks very much in advance for any light shed...

-Justice

Re: Newbie to Tomcat and JSP: help requested

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
Uninstall tomcat 5 and and use tomcat 4.1.X.

Tomcat 5 is alpha quality and not meant for a newbie.

More help after you get tomcat 4.1.x running ...
http://tomcatfaq.sourceforge.net/

-Tim