Posted to ojb-user@db.apache.org by je...@optonline.net on 2004/11/11 02:43:55 UTC

LIMIT timeframe?

Hey all.  Thank you for great project.

I am very excited about my site having gone live with OJB, but there is one aspect of OJB I am really not liking to have to do right now -- make it database specific.  It was part of my marketing to have the platform I created be non-database specific, but that can't be for one reason.

I am looking at all the posts on the board about not having LIMIT supported.   I need to do very large table queries but I have to add LIMITs specific to MySQL on the query or there would be a drastically bad performance issue.

Jakob is your LIMIT code you had working working and do you think it might get into 1.0.2 or 1.1?  I know you have bigger fish to fry.

I don't know OJB internals well but I am trying to learn so I can help in the future.

JohnE

Re: LIMIT timeframe?

Posted by Jakob Braeuchi <jb...@gmx.ch>.
hi john,

to be hones, my version of the sql-limit stuff was rather basic and didn't work
correctly for extents.
before we can really use the sql-LIMIT we'll have to change ojb to use a
_single_ query for all extents (using the UNION clause). with the current
solution using one select for each extent the LIMIT-clause is not useful.

example:

-ojb current version:
select * from person where ... limit ...
select * from musicians where ... limit ...

-future version:
select * from person where ...
union
select * from musicians where ...