Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "Kevin A. Burton" <bu...@newsmonster.org> on 2005/02/16 20:27:24 UTC

commons benchmark in sandbox.

Hey.

I just added a new project to the sandbox.  Its designed to provide
lightweight runtime benchmarking for Java code.  Think log4j for
benchmarking.

The code can be disabled at runtime with almost no performance hit.  Its
also very fast when enabled as well being able to product 1M benchmarks
per second with a modern CPU.

The goal is to provide universal and exported performance benchmarks
that can be enabled at runtime for the JVM.  It can also be used to
provide historical benchmarking.  Think perfmon for Java.  We actually
are using it to tie it into ganglia and rrdtool so that we can generate
graphs as the the performance of our application.

Right now its just a working proof of concept and needs a lot before it
can be shipped.  Better API design, XML configuration support,
documentation, etc.

Once (and if) its in Jakarta and out of the sandbox it could be used in
packages like FeedParser or Tomcat to export benchmarking statistics.

Kevin

get a free iPod!

Re: commons benchmark in sandbox.

Posted by "Kevin A. Burton" <bu...@newsmonster.org>.
Brett Porter wrote:

>You might like to check out Atlassian Profiling - I believe it does
>something similar to what you are doing. I've found it useful in the
>past for the reasons you've given.
>
>http://opensource.atlassian.com/profiling/

Thats looks closer to what I want... I'll checkout the code...

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Re: commons benchmark in sandbox.

Posted by Brad Neuberg <bk...@columbia.edu>.

>>Similarly, with AspectJ [or other alternatives], what are you providing
>>that goes beyond what you might do in that space?
>>

>I haven't played around much with ApsectJ but it doesn't do a lot of what
>I want.  I mean I'd have to provide my own function advice which would
>have to implement benchmarking so I'm back to square one.

The benefit of Kevin's system is you don't have to adopt the entire aspect
way of programming just to get benchmarking.

Brad Neuberg, bkn3@columbia.edu
Senior Software Engineer, Rojo Networks
Weblog: http://www.codinginparadise.org

Check out Rojo, an RSS and Atom news aggregator that I work on.  Visit
http://rojo.com for more info. Feel free to ask me for an invite!

Rojo is Hiring!  If you're interested in RSS, Weblogs, Social Networking,
Java, Open Source, etc... then come work with us at Rojo.  If you recommend
someone and we hire them you'll get a free iPod!  See
http://www.rojonetworks.com/JobsAtRojo.html.

Re: commons benchmark in sandbox.

Posted by "Kevin A. Burton" <bu...@newsmonster.org>.
Richard Sitze wrote:

>With so many benchmark and profiling tools available that do not require
>instrumenting the code, what real benefit do you see this providing?

Again... I haven't found anything that comes anywhere close to what I
need.
Most profiling tools are horrible... and most benchmarking tools require
you to recompile your application.

This way your app can export benchmarks and you can enable/disable them
at runtime.

You can also LEAVE them enabled and use them to export historical data
for your app.

Again... think log4j but for benchmarks.

>Similarly, with AspectJ [or other alternatives], what are you providing
>that goes beyond what you might do in that space?

I haven't played around much with ApsectJ but it doesn't do a lot of
what I want.  I mean I'd have to provide my own function advice which
would have to implement benchmarking so I'm back to square one.

The advice approach is cool.  It would be cool of commons benchmark
could benchmark any existing packages.  For example I could benchmark
the ConnectorJ for MySQL without their cooperation.  Then all my
executeUpdate, executeQuery functions would be benchmarked.

Still trying to think of the ideal approach here but its still coming
together :)

Posted by Richard Sitze <rs...@us.ibm.com>.
With so many benchmark and profiling tools available that do not require
instrumenting the code, what real benefit do you see this providing?
Similarly, with AspectJ [or other alternatives], what are you providing
that goes beyond what you might do in that space?

<ras>

Richard A. Sitze
IBM WebSphere WebServices Development

"Kevin A. Burton" <bu...@newsmonster.org> wrote on 02/16/2005 01:27:24