Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> on 2007/07/22 13:56:44 UTC

Apache server, Tomcat , SEO and 302 issue

Hi All,

Supportin temporary or permanent redirection of matching requests in Tomcat is pious vow from some times now (http://www.jajakarta.org/tomcat/tomcat3.2-4.0/tomcat-4.0b5/src/catalina/docs/dev/todo.html see [org.apache.catalina.valves.RedirectValve])

So when in OFBiz, using Apache server as frontal with jkmount, if someone ask for  a domain (say http://www.domain.com) this activate a redirection to http://www.domain.com/control/main. An you get a 302 redirect (moved temporarily) and not a 301 (permanent). Not persuaded ? see http://livehttpheaders.mozdev.org/. This makes sense because if it's permanent why use something dynamic ? But the problem with 302 is that it's not good for search engines (this is clearly explained in the 2d link below). So I searched for a solution. I found 2
  a.. http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231044
  b.. http://blog.spaceprogram.com/2003/06/fixing-tomcat-302-redirect-issue_18.html
I tried the 1st in 1st place but got not the expected result. I guess because the jkmount gives no chance to a 404. I wonder now how OFBiz users deals with this problem before creating my own Tomcat version (actually I will simply replace the concerned class in the corresponding jar) inspired by the 2d solution... Any ideas, advices ?

Thanks

Jacques

PS : I looked also at rewrite rules solutions as in http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum92/2309.htm

Re: Apache server, Tomcat , SEO and 302 issue

Posted by Brett Palmer <br...@gmail.com>.
I have had similar requests from clients that use an Apache-Tomcat
combination.  In this case it was a tomcat struts application but the
problem was the same for ofbiz.

We were advised that redirecting to tomcat was not recommended for
SEO.  This is particularly a problem when the whole site it in tomcat
and apache is just used as a frontend with a single page.

I would be interested in the correct answer for SEO
 and if anyone has found an optimal solution.

Brett

De : "David Garrett" <dg...@communication.concepts.cc>

Posted by David Garrett <dg...@communication.concepts.cc>.
Jacques,