Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Carl Youngblood <ca...@gmail.com> on 2005/06/23 08:13:26 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache 1.3 not honoring +ExecCGI or +FollowSymLinks in UserDir on OS X Tiger

I'm having trouble trying to execute CGIs and follow symlinks under
user web shares (~user style directories) on Mac OS X Tiger.

I've changed httpd.conf so that the / and DocumentRoot directories
both have AllowOverride Options. I've turned web sharing on. I've set
the user dir (/Users/*/Sites) to Options +ExecCGI +FollowSymLinks, and
yet I get a forbidden message every time I try to either follow a
symlink or execute a cgi script. Here is what I get in the Apache
error log:

[Wed Jun 22 21:11:28 2005] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] Options ExecCGI
is off in this directory: /Users/carl/Sites/test.cgi
[Wed Jun 22 21:11:41 2005] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] Symbolic link
not allowed: /Users/carl/Sites/symlink/

If I try to do these things in the DocumentRoot
(/Library/Webserver/Documents), it works just fine. It's almost as if
mod_userdir is ignoring my options directives. I've tried specifying
the directives both inside httpd.conf and in an .htaccess file and
neither seems to work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Carl Youngblood

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 1.3 not honoring +ExecCGI or +FollowSymLinks in UserDir on OS X Tiger

Posted by Carl Youngblood <ca...@gmail.com>.
I finally figured out what was wrong. At the very bottom of httpd.conf
was the line:

Include /private/etc/httpd/users/*.conf

This was including a file that was overwriting all my previous
settings. How frustrating!

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 6/23/05, Carl Youngblood <ca...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm having trouble trying to execute CGIs and follow symlinks under
> user web shares (~user style directories) on Mac OS X Tiger.
>
> I've changed httpd.conf so that the / and DocumentRoot directories
> both have AllowOverride Options. I've turned web sharing on. I've set
> the user dir (/Users/*/Sites) to Options +ExecCGI +FollowSymLinks, and
> yet I get a forbidden message every time I try to either follow a
> symlink or execute a cgi script. Here is what I get in the Apache
> error log:
>
> [Wed Jun 22 21:11:28 2005] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] Options ExecCGI
> is off in this directory: /Users/carl/Sites/test.cgi
> [Wed Jun 22 21:11:41 2005] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] Symbolic link
> not allowed: /Users/carl/Sites/symlink/
>
> If I try to do these things in the DocumentRoot
> (/Library/Webserver/Documents), it works just fine. It's almost as if
> mod_userdir is ignoring my options directives. I've tried specifying
> the directives both inside httpd.conf and in an .htaccess file and
> neither seems to work.

For symlinks to work, the FollowSymLinks option must be present for
the directory containing the symlink, not the target directory.  Are
you sure you have done that?  Have you tried allowing symlinks from
the root?

Joshua.