Posted to dev@thrift.apache.org by "James E. King, III" <jk...@apache.org> on 2017/10/29 14:38:37 UTC

Compiler plug-ins

I'm curious if anyone uses the thrift compiler plug-in feature?  It adds a
complexity to the build system and the compiler, and if it does not provide
value, it should be considered for removal.  I'd like to know what the use
cases are for having a binary plug-in system when the source code is freely
available and modifiable.

- Jim

Re: Compiler plug-ins

Posted by Ben Craig <be...@gmail.com>.
I don't currently use it, but I wasn't aware of it until recently.

The issue that we run into at my company is that the exception types
generated by Thrift aren't the types that we want to use in our code.  As a
result, after code generation, we end up writing lots of boilerplate to
convert from one exception type to another.

If we could tweak the code generation, then we could avoid all the
boilerplate as well as get some efficiency.

Re: Compiler plug-ins

Posted by Randy Abernethy <ra...@apache.org>.

Re: Compiler plug-ins

Re: Compiler plug-ins