Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Mark J Cox <ma...@awe.com> on 1998/06/08 18:21:47 UTC

In the news: ServerWatch's Review of Apache

Nice review, only slight inaccuracies:

http://serverwatch.internet.com/webreview-apache.html

"High-end enterprise-level server for Unix and Windows 95/98/NT
platforms"

"Pros:  Price (freeware),  Performance and robustness,  Rock-solid
reliability,  Security,  Support for the HTTP 1.1 protocol, Extensibility,
Quick tech support via Usenet newsgroup,  Streamlined interface"

"Cons:  No Mac version available,  NT version is in its infancy (still
lacks a number of the UNIX versions' performance enhancements),  Interface
lacks wizards and graphical administration tools for facilitating
configuration and administration tasks,  More extensive technical support
requires the purchase of a third-party support contract"

Re: In the news: ServerWatch's Review of Apache

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@jrc.it>.

On Mon, 8 Jun 1998, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

> > "Cons:  No Mac version available
>
> >From what I understand Tenon's WebTen works quite well.  It was certainly
> easily to build Apache with mod_php3 on a MachTen box Tenon gave me access
> to, and the resulting binary apparently runs very well under MacOS.

Same for me. Bit of a rip-off price wise :-)

Dw

Re: In the news: ServerWatch's Review of Apache

Posted by Rasmus Lerdorf <ra...@lerdorf.on.ca>.
> "Cons:  No Mac version available

>From what I understand Tenon's WebTen works quite well.  It was certainly
easily to build Apache with mod_php3 on a MachTen box Tenon gave me access
to, and the resulting binary apparently runs very well under MacOS.

-Rasmus