Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Michal Mocny <mm...@google.com> on 2014/08/18 15:01:20 UTC

PhoneGap Day Presentations

Hi All,

Decided to email the presentation proposals Google has made, to help
coordinate effort.  Hopefully others can fill in gaps we aren't covering
and not duplicate what we already cover.

========

- Andrew [SF]:

Rapid Iteration Options for Cordova Apps

A comparison between 4 tools for an iterative Cordova workflow:
- CLI (e.g. `cordova run`)
- Ripple/browser
- PhoneGap App
- Chrome App Developer Tool

Will highlight the pros & cons of each and show off some of the most
compelling features of each one.

- Ian [Berlin]:

Introducing Crosswalk for Cordova

Cordova on Android has always leveraged the operating-system-provided
WebView to render your applications. This means that your users are stuck
with whatever features their phone came bundled with (and old phones are
never updated)

Soon, with the next branch of Cordova Android, you will be able to replace
the WebView itself, as easily as adding a plugin. In this talk, I'll show
off one of the first of such plugins, the Cordova Crosswalk Engine plugin,
being developed by Cordova team members, with the help of Intel engineers.
I'll show off what it can do, who's using it, and how easy it is to install
and use in your own applications.

- Ian [Berlin]:

Plugin development: Best practices for Cordova 3.5+

In this talk, I'll be giving an overview of modern Cordova plugin
development, highlighting the best practices for creating a cross-platform,
testable plugin which can be published on the Cordova plugin registry. In
addition to showing the overall structure of a well-constructed plugin,
I'll present some tips for interactive development and debugging with IDEs,
and explore the limits of what Cordova plugins can do.

- Michal [SF]

Plugin Testing

Learn all about "new-style" cordova plugin tests, including how to run them
from within your existing app or the cordova mobile spec, how to write your
own plugin tests, and best practices.

- Mark [Berlin, possibly SF]

Cordova & Gulp: Combining Cordova with other web dev tools using build
system workflows

The traditional Cordova CLI based development workflow is sometimes
difficult to add into existing web apps or combine with some popular tools
such as Sass, CoffeeScript, Bower etc. I will demonstrate a simple workflow
based on Gulp (or really, any other build system) where Cordova can easily
coexist with such tools allowing for greater flexibility in workflow
customization and automation.
​
========

Since most of us cannot make both PGDays, we may cover each others' talks
at the other events if they prove useful (or perhaps others here would like
to collaborate on some of these?).

-Michal