Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Lukas Fang <ne...@gmx.de> on 2006/03/16 10:01:13 UTC

spamassassin blocks sendmail/procmail delivery

Hello List,

i hope somebody can help me here, since i got no feedback on
my problem elsewhere.

For 2 days now, one of my users on a SuSE 9.3 Box with mail-delivery
through fetchmail->sendmail->/home/user/.procmailrc->spamassassin
receives no mail anymore. Beside that he even can't log into the
webmail-application, running on the same host, but thats another
story...

The installed SpamAssassin is V2.64. The whole thing has been
running that way for more than a year now and filtered
6k Spams and 10k Hams.

Now i found an error message while a message for that certain user
is received in /var/log/mail

$(MSGID) timeout waiting for input from local during Draining Input

Up to the time, the timout comes up, a lock file exists in /var/spool/mail
for that user that gets replaced immediately after the timeout
because the next waiting email for the users is being processed.
But the corresponding sendmail/procmail process stays in 'ps ax' and
everytime a timeout comes up there ist another sleeping process
for that message.

Now there are approximatly 30 Messages that can't get delivered to
that users mailbox, while ALL other users receive scanned emails
fine.

I thought i could get it going again by simply stopping sendmail/
spamd and the sleeping prozesses and then start it again so sendmail
would go through /var/spool/mqueue and deliver emails as normal, but
it didn't (would have been to easy though :P )

I don't know if spamassassin ist the matter here, but i read
a thread where somebody mentioned sendmail ist getting to much
output from a program that sendmail gives the emails to for
any purpose and can't get them back for delivery...

I really appreciate any kind of hints you got for me, i don't know
what to do with that stupid user...

Kind regards luke