Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by youareno6 <dh...@storix.com> on 2013/11/20 18:59:55 UTC

Best Practices for Parallel Development

I would imagine this is a common problem, but my google searching has not
yielding a solution for what I am attempting to do. If you have links to
documentation, or any suggestions that you have used I would appreciate it.

Current Workflow:
Multiple developers work from their own checkout (working copies) of a
branch that is made for each release of a software product. So the stable
release is the "Version 5.2" branch. The only changes made are bug fixes.
New features are now be developed from a "Version 5.3" branch. We know that
any updates to 5.2 (which are rare) will need to be replicated in 5.3. This
is our normal flow and it has worked for several years.

Problem:
We are usually only actively developing for the next release or major
update. However, we are working on a new release (i.e. Version 5.3) and
another team is starting development on the next Version update 6.0.

So we have a stable (bug fix only) Version 5.2 branch
We have a development  Version 5.3 branch
And a long term project Version 6.0 branch

So if a change is made to 5.2, the developer would have to make the same
change to 5.3 and 6.0. Is there any way to keep them in sync without
manually editing the code in the repository? What would be the best
practices for this type of development schedule?

Thanks
 - youareno6

Re: Best Practices for Parallel Development

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 12:59 PM, youareno6 <dh...@storix.com> wrote:
> I would imagine this is a common problem, but my google searching has not
> yielding a solution for what I am attempting to do. If you have links to
> documentation, or any suggestions that you have used I would appreciate it.
>
> Current Workflow:
> Multiple developers work from their own checkout (working copies) of a
> branch that is made for each release of a software product. So the stable
> release is the "Version 5.2" branch. The only changes made are bug fixes.
> New features are now be developed from a "Version 5.3" branch. We know that
> any updates to 5.2 (which are rare) will need to be replicated in 5.3. This
> is our normal flow and it has worked for several years.
>
> Problem:
> We are usually only actively developing for the next release or major
> update. However, we are working on a new release (i.e. Version 5.3) and
> another team is starting development on the next Version update 6.0.
>
> So we have a stable (bug fix only) Version 5.2 branch
> We have a development  Version 5.3 branch
> And a long term project Version 6.0 branch
>
> So if a change is made to 5.2, the developer would have to make the same
> change to 5.3 and 6.0. Is there any way to keep them in sync without
> manually editing the code in the repository? What would be the best
> practices for this type of development schedule?

You need to merge the changes from the 5.2 branch to the other
branches. See http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.7/svn.branchmerge.basicmerging.html