Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Laurent PELLEGRINO <la...@gmail.com> on 2009/10/21 16:59:11 UTC

Maven assembly and onejar goal

Dear all,

I have a project which depends of two library A and B. Both (jar) have
a directory named META-INF/services/ with in a file named "config" for
example. However the content of the file "config" is different for the
two libraries.

My project use the assembly plugin with one-jar goal. When I perform
an assembly, I get my-project-onejar.jar within a
META-INF/services/config file which is the content of the file from
the library B. My problem is that I want to have the content of the
file from the library A.
I think this problem occurs because the add operation is performed by
using the lexicographic order on the groupId associated with
libraries. Like groupId(A) < groupId(B) the one-jar goal add first the
config file from A and then it is replaced by the config file of B.

Does someone know where to find the one-jar.xml descriptor and how I
can edit it in order to exclude file from a specific library
identified by a groupId and an artifactId ?

I try to do something like that :

<fileset from="B">
  <excludes>
    <exclude>META-INF/services/config</exclude>
  </excludes>
</fileset>

In this case B will not replace the existing file from A.

How does someone has an another idea ?

Thanks.

Kind Regards
Laurent

Re: Maven assembly and onejar goal

Posted by Laurent PELLEGRINO <la...@gmail.com>.
With mvn dependency:tree I see it :

[INFO] |     \- com.ontotext.owlim:big-owlim:jar:3.2.2:compile

If I change scope to compile in assembly I don't see it in the generated jar.

Posted by Nick Stolwijk <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexander <th...@gmail.com>.
Only if dependency have an inappropriate scope.

2009/10/23 Laurent PELLEGRINO <la...@gmail.com>

> is it possible there is something in the jar library which indicates
> to maven that it cannot be assembly in one-jar ?
>
> 2009/10/23 Laurent PELLEGRINO <la...@gmail.com>:
> > yes it is :(
> >
> > 2009/10/23 Alexander <th...@gmail.com>:
> >> Does this library declared in *dependencies* section?

> one

> are
> clean

> maybe
> if

> <descriptor>src/main/assembly/jar-with-dependencies.xml</descriptor>

> wrt

> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >> Alexander

Alexander

Re: Maven assembly and onejar goal

Posted by Laurent PELLEGRINO <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Laurent PELLEGRINO <la...@gmail.com>.
yes it is :(

Posted by Alexander <th...@gmail.com>.
Does this library declared in *dependencies* section?

2009/10/23 Laurent PELLEGRINO <la...@gmail.com>

> I have make again the jar-with-dependencies.xml step by step and
> forced assembly version to 2.2-beta3 and it seems now it works...
> However the library com.ontotext.owlim:big-owlim is never include in
> my jar. Even if I use the default jar-with-dependencies descriptor
> which contains no exclude.
>
> big-owlin is a commercial library which is used at runtime and scope
> is declared like that. This library is in my local repository and
> maven can use it because some of tests running with maven use this
> library with success. Is there something that can impede the copy ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Kind Regards
> Laurent
>
> 2009/10/23 Alexander <th...@gmail.com>:
> > Looks good. +1.
> >
> > If default jar-with-all-dep works fine why don't you add your changes one
> by
> > one to determine what one actually is confusing assembly work?
> > 2009/10/23 Nick Stolwijk <ni...@gmail.com>
> >
> >> Looks good. I don't really know what is going wrong.
> >>
> >> Just to be sure we are dealing with an assembly problem, but there are
> >> classes in your target/classes directory after you have run  mvn clean
> >> assembly:assembly?
> >>
> >> Could you also take a look at the logging of the assembly plugin, maybe
> >> even
> >> with -X to see whether you see anything strange. Also post it here if
> you
> >> can.
> >>
> >> Which version of the assembly plugin are you using?
> >>
> >> With regards,
> >>
> >> Nick Stolwijk
> >> ~Java Developer~
> >>
> >> IPROFS BV.
> >> Claus Sluterweg 125
> >> 2012 WS Haarlem
> >> http://www.iprofs.nl

> the

> > --
> > Regards,
> > Alexander

Alexander

Re: Maven assembly and onejar goal

Posted by Laurent PELLEGRINO <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexander <th...@gmail.com>.
Looks good. +1.

If default jar-with-all-dep works fine why don't you add your changes one by
one to determine what one actually is confusing assembly work?
2009/10/23 Nick Stolwijk <ni...@gmail.com>

> Looks good. I don't really know what is going wrong.
>
> Just to be sure we are dealing with an assembly problem, but there are
> classes in your target/classes directory after you have run  mvn clean
> assembly:assembly?
>
> Could you also take a look at the logging of the assembly plugin, maybe
> even
> with -X to see whether you see anything strange. Also post it here if you
> can.
>
> Which version of the assembly plugin are you using?
>
> With regards,
>
> Nick Stolwijk
> ~Java Developer~
>
> IPROFS BV.
> Claus Sluterweg 125
> 2012 WS Haarlem
> http://www.iprofs.nl
>

> On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Laurent PELLEGRINO <
> laurent.pellegrino@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I use the following :
> >
> > > <plugin>
> > > <artifactId>maven-assembly-plugin</artifactId>
> > > <configuration>
> > > <finalName>${pom.artifactId}-${pom.version}</finalName>
> > > <descriptors>
> > > <descriptor>src/main/assembly/jar-with-dependencies.xml</descriptor>
> > > </descriptors>
> > > </configuration>
> > > <executions>
> > > <execution>
> > > <phase>package</phase>
> > > <goals>
> > > <goal>single</goal>
> > > </goals>
> > > </execution>
> > > </executions>
> > > </plugin>
> >
> > 2009/10/23 Nick Stolwijk <ni...@gmail.com>:
> > > That should be the right syntax. How did you configure your pom wrt the
> > > assembly plugin?
> > >
> > > With regards,
> > >
> > > Nick Stolwijk
> > > ~Java Developer~
> > >
> > > IPROFS BV.
> > > Claus Sluterweg 125
> > > 2012 WS Haarlem
> > > http://www.iprofs.nl

Alexander

Re: Maven assembly and onejar goal

Posted by Nick Stolwijk <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Laurent PELLEGRINO <la...@gmail.com>.
I use the following :

Posted by Nick Stolwijk <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Laurent PELLEGRINO <la...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for links.

I have succeeded to generate a jar which contains the file I wanted.
However I have an another problem by editing the default
jar-with-dependencies.xml : the jar generated contains all
dependencies in but not the binaries (.class) of the project from
where I launch the mvn assembly:assenbly command.

Below my edited version of jar-with-dependencies.xml :

> <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
> <assembly>
> <id>jar-with-dependencies</id>
> <formats>
> <format>jar</format>
> </formats>
> <includeBaseDirectory>false</includeBaseDirectory>
> <dependencySets>
> <dependencySet>
> <outputDirectory>/</outputDirectory>
> <outputFileNameMapping></outputFileNameMapping>
> <excludes>
> <exclude>com.ontotext.owlim:big-owlim</exclude>
> </excludes>
> <scope>runtime</scope>
> <unpack>true</unpack>
> <unpackOptions>
> <excludes>
> <exclude>**/org.openrdf.sail.config.SailFactory</exclude>
> </excludes>
> </unpackOptions>
> </dependencySet>
>
> <dependencySet>
> <outputDirectory>/</outputDirectory>
> <outputFileNameMapping></outputFileNameMapping>
> <includes>
> <include>com.ontotext.owlim:big-owlim</include>
> </includes>
> <unpack>true</unpack>
> <scope>runtime</scope>
> </dependencySet>
> </dependencySets>
>
> <fileSets>
> <fileSet>
> <directory>${project.build.outputDirectory}</directory>
> <outputDirectory>/</outputDirectory>
> </fileSet>
> </fileSets>
> </assembly>

I have tried to add the following include in fileSet in order to force
to include binaries from the project which run the descriptor but it
doesn't work :

> <includes>
> <include>${pom.groupId}:${pom.artifactId}</include>
> </includes>

I don't understand why binaries are missing. With default
jar-with-dependencies binaries are here. Someone can help me ?

Thanks

Kind Regards
Laurent

Posted by Nick Stolwijk <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Laurent PELLEGRINO <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nick Stolwijk <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexander <th...@gmail.com>.
Next time quote your message or copy to make sure everybody could understand
what are you talking about.

2009/10/22 Laurent PELLEGRINO <la...@gmail.com>

> Thanks for your answer.
>
> The last link is what I use. My question is how to add an exclude part
> by using filename and groupId:artefactId. Because if you do the
> following
>
> >  <dependencySet>
> >             <outputDirectory>/</outputDirectory>
> >             <scope>runtime</scope>
> >             <excludes>
> >                 <exclude>groupIdB:dependencyB</exclude>
> >                 <exclude>META-INF/services/config</exclude>
> >             </excludes>
> >         </dependencySet>
>
> > <exclude>groupIdA:dependencyA</exclude>
> will exclude all files from dependency A whereas I want to exclude only one
> file
>
> > <exclude>META-INF/services/config</exclude>
> will exclude config file from the jar with dependencies whereas I want
> to have the config file from dependency A in my jar with dependencies
>
> what I wish is something like that :
> <exclude from=groupIdB:dependencyB>META-INF/services/config</exclude>
>
> Iam lost, is it possible to do that ?
>
> 2009/10/22 Edelson, Justin <Ju...@mtvstaff.com>:
> > Gotta love how Nabble removes the context, forcing people to go to the
> > site...
> >
> > Anyway, one-jar isn't a built-in descriptor:
> > http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin/descriptor-refs.ht
> > ml
> >
> > There is one here:
> > http://binkley.blogspot.com/2006/12/making-one-jar-with-maven.html
> >
> > But I have no idea if this is what you're referring to. If you're not
> > using a built-in assembly descriptor, you need to find whomever is
> > providing the descriptor and look at their source. The built-in
> > descriptors are in
> > http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/maven/plugins/tags/maven-assembly-plugin-2.
> > 2-beta-4/src/main/resources/assemblies/
> >
> > Justin