Posted to dev@hawq.apache.org by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org> on 2016/09/20 15:09:57 UTC

HAWQ licensing questions

Forking this from the VOTE thread:

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 5:17 PM, Ed Espino <es...@apache.org> wrote:
> -1 :  The Apache HAWQ incubator project has references to two Apache
> Category X licenses (Artistic License - licenses/LICENSE-plper.txt:
>
>    - JSON 2.27 project (src/include/catalog/JSON
>    - licenses/LICENSE-json.txt)
>    - PL/Perl (src/pl/plperl - licenses/LICENSE-plperj.txt)

I see that you already addresses the fact that PL/Perl seems
to be subject to the exception documented under LEGAL-79.

On top of that, I'd like to add that as it turns out, ASF has never
formally classified Perl/Artistic license. The most informative
thread on this can be found at:

The later one talks specifically about JSON use case as seems
to be the case for HAWQ.

Given this, I propose that we declare PL/Perl to be exempt (do
nothing about it). And we refactor JSON out for now.

Sounds reasonable?

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: HAWQ licensing questions

Posted by Ed Espino <es...@apache.org>.
FYI: I have created the following issue:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HAWQ-1065

A PR has been created and is available for review:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-hawq/pull/922

This completes the outstanding issues related to the Perl Artistic License.

Regards,
-=e

Posted by Ed Espino <es...@apache.org>.