Posted to dev@solr.apache.org by "Christine Poerschke (BLOOMBERG/ LONDON)" <cp...@bloomberg.net> on 2023/05/03 10:52:58 UTC

Re: Welcome Marcus Eagan as Solr committer

Welcome Marcus!

From: dev@solr.apache.org At: 04/02/23 05:31:25 UTC+1:00To:  dev@solr.apache.org
Subject: Re: Welcome Marcus Eagan as Solr committer

Thanks everyone!

Bio TL;DR
- I dream and build.
- My vocational interests are ease of use, developer productivity, machine
learning, and doing whichever important tasks others do not want to do.
- my charitable interests are open source, preserving schools, and economic
empowerment
- I like classical jazz, and reading books about history and physics

I'll be short — not my strength, and clear — another weakness. Thank you
for the invitation. I opened my first PR on the Lucene/Solr repo in 2018 to
learn more about search engines by working on them. For years before that,
I'd been benefiting from this project far more than I will ever give to it.
Even today, when the news is filled with promises of what a new breed of
Information Retrieval technology might bring, the importance of the work
this team and the extended community of users has done over the years
cannot be overstated. For your and my purposes, it also cannot slow down.

This free-to-own, open source technology powers a lot of the academic
research. It facilitates the discovery of new and competing technologies,
protects civilians from sophisticated attacks, manages most of the world's
supply chains, feeds us, brings the movie theater to our smart TVs, and is
critical to global financial markets. From the memeberg terminal in
Reddit's r/wallstreetbets, to over 2,000 clusters at Bloomberg
<https://www.bloomberg.com/company/press/open-source-bloomberg-solr-work-enhance
-enterprise-search/>,
people sometimes forget how important their dayjob is because what is
routine can feel mundane. Every one of you and all our users matter.

I promise to uphold my duty as a committer to you all and to the critical
infrastructure we steward in all corners of society. I love that the
community transcends corporate interest, geopolitical unrest, pandemic
confusion, gripping inequity, and even the computer code that we are
chartered to maintain.

This organization understands a salient point that I, myself, so often
forget: we are all in this together.

Community over code,

- Marcus
Apache Solr Committer

On Sat, Apr 1, 2023 at 1:23 PM Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com> wrote:

> Congrats and welcome, Marcus!
>
> Jan
>
> > 1. apr. 2023 kl. 09:19 skrev Ishan Chattopadhyaya <
> ichattopadhyaya@gmail.com>:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm pleased to announce that Marcus Eagan has accepted the PMC's
> > invitation to become a committer.
> >
> > Marcus, the tradition is that new committers introduce themselves with a
> > brief bio.
> >
> > Congratulations and welcome!

Marcus Eagan

--