Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by JS <sm...@dcs.kcl.ac.uk> on 2003/04/01 02:05:41 UTC

connection pooling saga

Hello.
Has anyone ever done connection pooling with MS Access and tomcat 4.1.12?
I havent had much luck in trying to find this done anywhere, and much of
the advice is to go with mySQL. Though I am reluctant to due to the lack
of Foreign Key support in mySQL and the fact that I have done alot with
Access.
I have read the DBCP tomcat support docs, but this is only geared towards
mySQL, does such a thing exist for MS Access?
Advance thanks
JS

[ERROR] JkCoyoteHandler - -Error in action code

Posted by "Tony F. White" <to...@worldlingo.com>.
Hi Folks,

I was wondering if someone might be able to explain why I would be seeing this in the catalina.out?
I have just upgraded to Tomcat 4.1.24, connecting to tomcat from Apache (1.3.26) with mod_jk2/2.0.3-dev.  It doesnt happen all the
time... just occasionaly, I guess it could be a vistor pressing stop or hitting refresh before the server has responded but I don't
recall it spittin this error up before (with Tomcat 4.0.3).

java.io.IOException: Broken pipe
        at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(Native Method)
        at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(SocketOutputStream.java:91)
        at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.send(ChannelSocket.java:407)
        at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.invoke(ChannelSocket.java:599)
        at org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler.action(JkCoyoteHandler.java:372)
        at org.apache.coyote.Response.action(Response.java:222)
        at org.apache.coyote.Response.finish(Response.java:343)
        at org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.OutputBuffer.close(OutputBuffer.java:326)
        at org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteResponse.finishResponse(CoyoteResponse.java:500)
        at org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:224)
        at org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler.invoke(JkCoyoteHandler.java:261)
        at org.apache.jk.common.HandlerRequest.invoke(HandlerRequest.java:360)
        at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.invoke(ChannelSocket.java:604)
        at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.processConnection(ChannelSocket.java:562)
        at org.apache.jk.common.SocketConnection.runIt(ChannelSocket.java:679)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:619)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:479)
[ERROR] JkCoyoteHandler - -Error in action code  <java.io.IOException: Broken pipe>

Thanks in Advance
Tony

RE: connection pooling saga

Posted by JS <sm...@dcs.kcl.ac.uk>.
Cheers Filip,
I didnt realise that DBCP would suppport Access.
(1) Doesnt the driver need to be a jar file though??

(2) I thought I needed an actual JDBC driver for MS Access.

(3) Does the DBCP support for MS Access Connection Pooling mean that I no
longer need my ConnectionPoolServlets to manage the connections.
I will read through the HOW-TOs again?
Any more advice would be much appreciated

JS

RE: connection pooling saga

Posted by George Sexton <gs...@mhsoftware.com>.
And who needs views? They only obscure the true source of the data. And who
needs sub-queries? You can always re-write your queries. They may not be as
intuitive, but hey, it's blindingly fast eh?

RE: connection pooling saga

Posted by Filip Hanik <ma...@filip.net>.

RE: connection pooling saga

Posted by mike jackson <mj...@cdi-hq.com>.
Uh, you don't want to use the Access with Java, at least not unless you
mind rebooting your server on a regular basis.  The JDBC-ODBC bridge has
a memory leak.

And besides I've been hearing that even Microsoft isn't doing anything
with Access (using SQL Server run-time instead).  Also that it might be
going away in one of the next few releases.

But if you have to use Access all you should have to do is change the
JDBC URL.

--mikej
-=-----
mike jackson