Posted to user@manifoldcf.apache.org by Olivier Tavard <ol...@francelabs.com> on 2017/05/02 12:44:23 UTC

Windows share connector : fetch ACL for an incremental job

Hi,

I have a question about the Windows Share connector please.
During the incremental job of a file share with security enabled, it seems that the getSecurity method is called for each file even if the last modified date of the document is unchanged between the two crawls.
Does it mean that the last modified date of a file is not changed after a modification of the ACLs on it ? So the connector has to fetch the ACLs on the file in all cases (even if the date is the same between the date of the ingest status in the MCF database and the date of the file), am I correct ? Or is it done in two steps : first check the last modified date of the document and after that only if it is different from the date stored into the MCF database, fetch ACL of the file and compare it with the ACLs stored into the MCF database ?

Thanks,

Olivier TAVARD

Re: Windows share connector : fetch ACL for an incremental job

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Olivier,

It was a long time ago that the Windows Share Connector was designed, but
at the time it was determined that you could change ACLs that affected
security on a document without changing the document itself, and thus the
document's modified date was insufficient by itself to signal a change that
would require reindexing.

It may not be the ACLs associated with the document itself, but rather the
ACLs associated with the document's share and parent that absolutely would
have to be part of the version string.

Karl