Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org> on 2022/08/30 09:39:42 UTC

[DISCUSS] Switch docker iamge base to Eclipse Temurin

Hello,

during the release of the 1.15.2 images
<https://github.com/docker-library/official-images/pull/13065> it was
noted that we use the openjdk:8/11 images, which have been deprecated
<https://github.com/docker-library/openjdk/issues/505> and thus no
longer receive any updates.

There are a number of alternatives, the most promising being Eclipse
Temurin <https://hub.docker.com/_/eclipse-temurin>, the successor of
AdoptOpenJDK, since it's vendor neutral.

This would imply a switch of distros from Debian to most likely Ubuntu
22.04 (Alpine isn't as user-friendly, and CentOS is likely incompatible
with existing images using our images as a base). We are also running
our CI on Ubuntu, so I don't expect any issues.

Let me know what you think.

The required changes on our side appear to be minimal; I have already
prepared a PR <https://github.com/apache/flink-docker/pull/130>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Switch docker iamge base to Eclipse Temurin

Posted by Thomas Weise <th...@apache.org>.
+1, the change to Ubuntu (hopefully) also reduces the ripple effect for
downstream customizers of the image.

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.