Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Stefan Seifert <ss...@pro-vision.de> on 2017/02/20 22:17:40 UTC

[utils] support comments in JSONOParser?

the new json parser added to Felix Utils fails when the JSON files contain comments like /* comment */.

i known that the JSON format [1] officially does not support comments at all, but most JSON parsers nowadays seem to support them by just skipping comments when parsing a JSON file. should the felix parser support this as well? perhaps configurable via a strict and non-strict mode?

stefan

[1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7159

Re: [utils] support comments in JSONOParser?

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com>.
Hi

I tend to agree with this …

plus: that project even implements the standard javax.json API…

Regards
Felix

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
+1

I think the objective of the parser in utils is for really simple
parsing/simple use cases. We should not add additional features.

Carsten

Achim Nierbeck wrote
> Hi,
>
> I wouldn't do it, in the end you'll endup re-inventing the wheel a 50th
> time.
> If you think the minimum parser isn't sufficient, it's time to think of
> using another one.
> As I already pointed out previously we do have an apache project for JSON
> stuff.
> At this point if it is really needed and not a simple string parsing and
> done with it.
> Go for a full featured JSON lib, which is already OSGi ready.
>
> regards, Achim

>> Agree that it would be a very nice feature to have.
>>
>> HOWEVER, this is how the scope creep starts. The original thought was to
>> have a very simple parser.
>>

>> What about a separate (possibly even configurable) pre-parser instead?
>>

>> Cheers,
>> =David
>>

>>> On Feb 21, 2017, at 7:17 AM, Stefan Seifert <ss...@pro-vision.de>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> the new json parser added to Felix Utils fails when the JSON files
>> contain comments like /* comment */.
>>>
>>> i known that the JSON format [1] officially does not support comments at
>> all, but most JSON parsers nowadays seem to support them by just skipping
>> comments when parsing a JSON file. should the felix parser support this as
>> well? perhaps configurable via a strict and non-strict mode?
>>>
>>> stefan
>>>
>>> [1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7159

--
Carsten Ziegeler
Adobe Research Switzerland

Re: [utils] support comments in JSONOParser?

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by David Leangen <os...@leangen.net>.