Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Dominique Cimafranca <do...@yahoo.com> on 2003/05/17 01:29:14 UTC

LDAP user passwords: cleartext or crypt

Hi, all,

I'm working with Jetspeed 1.4-b4.  The LDAP authentication piece is
working okay.  Jetspeed talks to the LDAP server.  However, something
confuses me:

I created a user account, and when I checked on the LDAP directory using
gq, the password was shown in cleartext, not crypt.

Is this the expected behavior?  I'm confused because the LDAP notes states
that Unix crypt is the only supported encrypting method.

Is there a flag in the JetspeedSecurity.properties that I missed out on?
I'm using the unmodified JetspeedSecurity.properties file that comes with
the Jetspeed source.

Thanks in advance.

=====

Re: LDAP user passwords: cleartext or crypt

Posted by Florian Brunswicker <fl...@nefkom.net>.
Hi Dominique,

i was not able to set up ldap on my windows system up to now, but it looks
like this can be configured in JetspeedSecurity.properties.
The Security Service can be configured to make the password checking secure.
See services.JetspeedSecurity.secure.passwords.

Hope this helps,

Florian Brunswicker