Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dave Thomas - Geek For Hire Inc <da...@geekforhire.net> on 2000/10/05 03:17:35 UTC

name based virtual hosts for many domains

I need to setup Apache 1.3.12 and Tomcat 3.1 to support many name based
virtual hosts. (100+)

I have much experience with this on Apache but have never had to use name
based v-hosts with Tomcat. Can tomcat support this without a problem? Any
input on potential problems is greatly appreciated.

Dave Thomas
dave@geekforhire.net

Re: name based virtual hosts for many domains

Posted by Rick Castello <ri...@punk.net>.
A piggy-back question I have is, can you do so running Tomcat solo
(no apache running) without having to run multiple invocations of Tomcat?

-Rick
rick@punk.net

Posted by Joe Shevland <sh...@kpi.com.au>.
> System has 1GB of RAM and dual 600mhz P3's. Think that could handle 50?

Doubtful :) Here's one line item from 'top' under FreeBSD 3.5:

  PID USERNAME  PRI NICE  SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
21477 root       18   0 72332K  6408K pause   17:18  0.00%  0.00% java

so it chews up a fair bit. Other than that though, I think it would be overkill... see below though.

> Do you know where I can find documentation on the virtual host support in
> 3.2b+?

Here's a reference that was posted recently that I haven't had time to investigate:

http://www.sfu.ca/~rslifka/tomcat/tomcat-apache-howto.html#virtual_hosting

Cheers,
Joe

RE: name based virtual hosts for many domains

Posted by Dave Thomas - Geek For Hire Inc <da...@geekforhire.net>.
System has 1GB of RAM and dual 600mhz P3's. Think that could handle 50?

Do you know where I can find documentation on the virtual host support in
3.2b+?

Thx,
Dave

Posted by Joe Shevland <sh...@kpi.com.au>.