Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Cyril Bouteille <cy...@peerflix.com> on 2006/12/30 04:57:01 UTC

listFiles throws SocketException: Connection reset even in passive mode

Hello,
I've a Java 1.5 program retrieving files over ftp using net 1.4.1, which
works fine in our dev environment, but throws the exception below in our
production environment on the listFiles() call.
1) I am calling enterLocalPassiveMode() to use passive mode, and
2) I'm able to list files with the ftp cli client on the same production
machine that the Java program is running on, so network ACLs seem ok
Is there anything else I am missing?
I'm at loss on how to resolve this issue and would appreciate your input.
Thanks,

SEVERE 16:13:14 MailScanJob.runJob: Exception java.net.SocketException: Connection reset
	at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:168)
	at sun.nio.cs.StreamDecoder$CharsetSD.readBytes(StreamDecoder.java:411)
	at sun.nio.cs.StreamDecoder$CharsetSD.implRead(StreamDecoder.java:453)
	at sun.nio.cs.StreamDecoder.read(StreamDecoder.java:183)
	at java.io.InputStreamReader.read(InputStreamReader.java:167)
	at java.io.BufferedReader.fill(BufferedReader.java:136)
	at java.io.BufferedReader.readLine(BufferedReader.java:299)
	at java.io.BufferedReader.readLine(BufferedReader.java:362)
	at org.apache.commons.net.ftp.FTPFileEntryParserImpl.readNextEntry(FTPFileEntryParserImpl.java:95)
	at org.apache.commons.net.ftp.FTPListParseEngine.readStream(FTPListParseEngine.java:150)
	at org.apache.commons.net.ftp.FTPListParseEngine.readServerList(FTPListParseEngine.java:98)
	at org.apache.commons.net.ftp.FTPClient.initiateListParsing(FTPClient.java:2396)
	at org.apache.commons.net.ftp.FTPClient.initiateListParsing(FTPClient.java:2364)
	at org.apache.commons.net.ftp.FTPClient.listFiles(FTPClient.java:2141)
	at org.apache.commons.net.ftp.FTPClient.listFiles(FTPClient.java:2188)
	at peerflix.job.trade.MailScanJob.processMailScans(MailScanJob.java:136)
	at peerflix.job.trade.MailScanJob.runJob(MailScanJob.java:87)
	at peerflix.job.PfxJob.main(PfxJob.java:97)

[NET] Re: listFiles throws SocketException: Connection reset even in passive mode

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!
> PS Don't forget to prefix the subject lines of your email with "[VFS]"
> as this list is shared by a lot of different groups.
Hmmmm ... I think the user uses plain NET, so redirecting to [NET]

Happy new year!

Ciao,
Mario

[VFS] Re: listFiles throws SocketException: Connection reset even in passive mode

Posted by Mark Fortner <ph...@yahoo.com>.
Sounds like your production environment has different FTP socket
timeout settings.  Does this exception occur with a large file in your
production environment?  If so, is that same file available in your dev
environment?

You may want to compare the settings on FTP servers and make sure
they're the same.

Hope this helps,

Mark