Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Paddy Verberne <pa...@home.nl> on 2002/02/28 23:22:26 UTC

mod rewrite, reverse proxy and load balancing

Hi,

Does anyone have the answer to the following?

Proposed configuration:
1 (one) apache-server connected to the internet with mod_rewrite to be able to provide reverse proxy to 2 (two) or more intranet webservers.

Question:
Can I be sure that once a client has connected through the apache-server to an internal webserver, all requests from that client will be redirected to that same server for the duration of the session?

What I think:
As long as I don't use session-based cookies or another mechanism to ensure that the apache-server knows what server to pick for a particular client for the duration of a session, it will redirect randomly to the available intranet webservers.

Any thoughts you want to share with me?

B.T.W. I've used mod_rewrite before to perform a similar trick using 1 (one) intranet webserver.

Best regards.

Paddy Verberne

Re: mod rewrite, reverse proxy and load balancing

Posted by Matt Schillinger <ms...@vss.fsi.com>.
I am looking to do the exact same thing.. If you have the same web data,
then use a database for session management, then you will be able to use
both webservers, and load balance randomly.. However, In my configuration,
I am using RewriteMap, and it works to pull a server, but the rnd://
option, always pulls the first instance in the server list.

Matt Schillinger
System Administrator
Flight Safety International - Visual Simulation Systems
mschilli@vss.fsi.com
314-551-8403