Posted to dev@jspwiki.apache.org by Andrew Jaquith <an...@me.com> on 2008/11/10 05:18:50 UTC

Protocol for patching?

Forgive me for asking a question that has probably been asked (or
answered) before, but what is the protocol for patching issues common
to the trunk and 2.8 branches?

Should it be (1) patch trunk, and then merge to 2.8, or (2) patch 2.8
and then merge with trunk?

I have in my own work on the Stripes branch, typically been merging
from trunk to Stripes branch

Also when I merge, I add the following commit comment to the Stripes
commit:

"Merged STRIPES_BRANCH with trunk revision 703235."

...which makes it crystal clear that it's from trunk, and up to a
specific revision number.

Regardless of which direction takes precedence (trunk-->2.8 or 2.8--
 >trunk), it's probably a good idea to put in merge comments that
include revision numbers.

A.

Re: Minor baseUrl comment.

Posted by Andrew Jaquith <an...@me.com>.
Yeah, I've noticed this too. Could you file a JIRA? This should be in
2.8.1.

Re: WikiPlugins and 3.0, was -> RE: Idea? Auto-update (Ecplise-like) mechanism for JSPWiki plugins.

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.

> I don't have any problem with the parameter handling myself. Most of
> my issues have to do with plugin paths and deployment. There needs to
> be some way of specifying compatibility and dependency, and to do so
> within the code of the plugin rather than some external file. I'm keen
> to hear more of what John has to say in this regard, and I haven't had
> a chance to look at the new API you've done (indeed, I didn't
> notice it
> in the code as I've been deploying a few wikis which has kept me
> busy).

I highly recommend subscribing to the jspwiki-commits (which you
should be on anyway, since you're a committer) mailing list.

It's a good idea to propose something NOW, as opposed to after 3.0 is
released. ;-)

>> I've got three or four templates *I* think look more attractive
>> than the
> default, though they were designed for specific branding and would
> require
> some reworking. I'd be willing to submit one of them if Dirk or
> someone
> wanted to fix up the JavaScript issues that might arise. I do have a
> graphic design background (though I'm loath to admit it at times). I
> could post some screenshots if you were interested.

Absolutely.

> naked eye, so it's a bit of a shame. We look clean but naked. [In some
> circles that's a Good Thing.]

Well, if we were dirty and naked I think that would get us some free
publicity.  And probably a short jail sentence.

Which, in some circles, is also a good thing.

/Janne

Re: WikiPlugins and 3.0, was -> RE: Idea? Auto-update (Ecplise-like) mechanism for JSPWiki plugins.

Posted by Murray Altheim <mu...@altheim.com>.
Janne Jalkanen wrote:

> Yes, plugins can be changed (everything is broken anyway) but nobody has
> been interested in providing any comments or design so far.  If you want
> to lead the discussion, go ahead!

Janne,

It's not necessarily from a lack of interest, it's that this is as you
know a volunteer team, and those of us whose participation is based on
time available and external schedules don't necessarily have a schedule
that syncs up with the development cycle of JSPWiki. I for example have
been largely unavailable for the past few months, and am just now
going into another period where most of my time will be devoted to
a few other things, some related to JSPWiki (e.g., two papers due
prior to Christmas and three new projects coming into the new year). I
would prefer to have more control over my time allocation but I do have
to eat.

> (My hope is though that we can survive with rather a minimal set of
> changes as to encourage people to port their plugins to 3.0. Our plugin
> system is fairly stable and easy to understand - if there was anything I
> would change it would be that I would change the way parameters are
> transmitted.  A Map prevents for example multiple parameters of the same
> name, which is a bit painful.  But you guys do plugins more, so please
> start the discussion!)

I don't have any problem with the parameter handling myself. Most of
my issues have to do with plugin paths and deployment. There needs to
be some way of specifying compatibility and dependency, and to do so
within the code of the plugin rather than some external file. I'm keen
to hear more of what John has to say in this regard, and I haven't had
a chance to look at the new API you've done (indeed, I didn't notice it
in the code as I've been deploying a few wikis which has kept me busy).

> Mediawiki (which is about 90% of the world's wiki installations) does
> not give a list of backlinks when clicking on the title.  Neither does
> TWiki, which probably accounts for a majority of the rest.  Therefore
> the assertion about every other wiki engine is flat out wrong, and just
> shows that there is a bias towards a particular selection from the
> beginning.  (In fact, I think it is a clunky idea at best.  Our
> ReferringPagesPlugin is superior, since it can be embedded in the
> LeftMenu.)

I largely agree with this. MediaWiki has the benefit of massive popularity
based on exposure due to Wikipedia and a popular development platform, not
to say that JSPs are unpopular but they're appealing to a different coding
personality.

> Our default template could look better, I agree (and I am not too hot on
> the other skins on it either).  Unfortunately, we don't have any graphic
> designers in the team...  If a company out there would like to help
> JSPWiki, getting someone with a very good eye for loan for a while might
> be very nice... ;-)

I've got three or four templates *I* think look more attractive than the
default, though they were designed for specific branding and would require
some reworking. I'd be willing to submit one of them if Dirk or someone
wanted to fix up the JavaScript issues that might arise. I do have a
graphic design background (though I'm loath to admit it at times). I
could post some screenshots if you were interested.

A more graphically appealing design would lend a lot more interest to the
project. Sadly, people tend to judge things on appearance rather than
functionality and the jspwiki.org site is on the barren side. We have
some nice new JavaScript functionality which is mostly invisible to the
naked eye, so it's a bit of a shame. We look clean but naked. [In some
circles that's a Good Thing.]

Murray

                                       -- The Blue Cliff Record

Re: WikiPlugins and 3.0, was -> RE: Idea? Auto-update (Ecplise-like) mechanism for JSPWiki plugins.

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.

On 11 Nov 2008, at 03:22, Volkar, John M. wrote:

> Agreed Murray.
>
> I've not been following closely but it appears with 3.0 just around
> the
> corner compatibility breaking changes are now possible.  For instance,
> plugins in general can be broken and changed.  For example, WikiPlugin
> could spout new *required* methods and have signature changes.
>
> Things like generics and annotations are now possible in 3.0 so
> perhaps
> the time is ripe for significant change.
>
> Of course wholesale change just for change sake isn't a good idea, but
> really an opportunity for change like this doesn't happen very
> often in
> a project's lifecycle (after all, I haven't heard anyone say anything
> about 4.0 ... yet <grin/>).
>
> Let me think on this some more and pull the code from svn (and get
> back
> up to speed with svn, eclipse, etc... It's been too long.).  I'll
> browse
> around and see about writing out some sort of proposal regarding
> plugins
> and 3.0.  This should be given some thought by plugin developers and a
> wish list should be discussed.
>
> ----
> Unless of course current committer thinking is that this is an area
> where change isn't desired in 3.0?
>
> I see lots of talk about storage backends, UI front ends and other
> plumbing, but nothing systematic regarding plugins.  Is this viewed
> as a
> fully satisfied niche of JSPWiki?  This seems ashamed because plugins
> represent a fairly simple way of bolting new functionality into
> JSPWiki
> as a platform and the existing framework could be strengthened to make
> plugin development easier and more regular.  But then again, if it
> ain't
> broke don't fix it is a good rule-of-thumb too.
>
> ----
> <aside>
> I'm ashamed to admit it, but I've had a recent experience where a
> group
> of wiki users choose UseMod over JSPWiki because the JSPWiki UI was
> too-cluttered and complicated (quote: "and *why* doesn't the page
> title
> give a list of backlinks like every other wiki in existence?").
> <head-shaking/> Just shows that not everyone can be happy; they
> detested
> the default template, tried installing other templates and threw up
> their hands in disgust.  Anyway it just goes to show that there are
> different folks in the world.
> </aside>
>

> Regards,
> John Volkar

Hi John,

 From someone with a *lot* of plugins to deal with, the current system

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.
> My feeling is that annotations might work fine if they permit each
> plugin and any of its aliases to function independently and not be
> bound to packaging restraints; this is not to speak of actual code
> dependencies. I am wary of further complications though. If, for
> example, someone has available to them dozens of plugins, and has
> several sites using different combinations of plugins, whatever
> approach
> is taken would hopefully be pretty seamless and not require
> complicated
> combinations of configuration files or machinations in ant build
> scripts
> as I've had to try, such as copying from a pool of jspwiki_module.xml
> files depending on configuration. A mess.

Any comments on the new annotation system, which I checked into the
trunk yesterday?  The API has been in there for months now, but I
didn't see any comments on it so I went ahead and implemented it.

/Janne

Re: Idea? Auto-update (Ecplise-like) mechanism for JSPWiki plugins.

Posted by Murray Altheim <mu...@altheim.com>.
Volkar, John M. wrote:
> Anyone give any thought to how sanctioned plugins could be hosted and
> have a means for live running sites to auto-download and install updates
> to them?
>
> If there were someway to do this, the annotations which are being
> discussed could be used to query a plugin about its needs, dependencies,
> etc.  This would have to be seriously thought thru, but could be quite
> cool.

Hi John,

 From someone with a *lot* of plugins to deal with, the current system

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.
No, I have to admit that I haven't.  But I think this is a really
great idea, though it does sound like a lot of coding.

You could open up a JIRA ticket for this idea; someone could pick it
up perhaps?

One could perhaps start with some simple Ant scripts; something like
"ant update" might work well.

/Janne

Posted by "Volkar, John M." <JV...@medrad.com>.
Anyone give any thought to how sanctioned plugins could be hosted and
have a means for live running sites to auto-download and install updates
to them?

If there were someway to do this, the annotations which are being
discussed could be used to query a plugin about its needs, dependencies,
etc.  This would have to be seriously thought thru, but could be quite
cool.

With the advent of apache SVN hosting, and being under the apache
umbrella, this might be viable now. Dunno.

Another thought (I've lamented my outdated jspwiki installs a few time);
it would be especially cool if jspwiki could update itself say (2.8.0 to

Re: Minor? ShortViewURLConstructor doesn't (fully) work

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.
> Ah, but [Edit:xxx] is a recommended shortcut for PageAliases and other
> things, its littered across several pieces of documentation.  But
> whatever.  No JIRA for this then.  Good'nuff.

Which just shows how badly outdated our documentation is... ;-)

> PS: But this was a *useful* shortcut; if this is a "won't fix" then
> there should be a sanctioned replacement for it.  (Perhaps a [{Edit
> PageName}] plugin?)

That might make a lot more sense.  InterWiki plugins are not very
good for internal references, since they are static but our URIs are
not :-/

/Janne

RE: Minor? ShortViewURLConstructor doesn't (fully) work

Posted by "Volkar, John M." <JV...@medrad.com>.
Ah, but [Edit:xxx] is a recommended shortcut for PageAliases and other
things, its littered across several pieces of documentation.  But
whatever.  No JIRA for this then.  Good'nuff.

Regards (and crawling back under my rock),
John Volkar

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.

Minor baseUrl comment.

Re: Protocol for patching?

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.
I usually patch 2.8 branch, then merge it into the trunk, since most
patches are against the 2.8 branch at the moment.

I include a comment, but that does not quote revision number, just
the fact that it was merged with 2.8 branch.  I look up the revision
number from the history. :-)

(No objection to start adding to the revision number, but my English
fails at your sentence: Does it mean that STRIPES_BRANCH was merged
into trunk; or trunk was merged into STRIPES_BRANCH?)

/Janne