Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by indomie15 <su...@gmail.com> on 2012/02/17 10:51:16 UTC

LogManager / LoggerRepository

Hi all,

I am using log4j-1.2.8.jar in my application.
How do I manage my Logger object? the number of logger object will be
created everytime it is access by application.

Is there a way to create the logger object one time and subsequently the
created logger object will be used by the application?

I google search and came across this "LoggerRepository" and LogManager". How
to use these two components?

Thank you.

Anderson

Re: LogManager / LoggerRepository

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
It's not clear what problem you are trying to solve?  When you call
Logger.getLogger("blah"), if "blah" Logger does not yet exist, it is created.
If it does exist it is returned.  Loggers are stored in a LoggerRepository.
How many logger repositories there are depends upon logger repository
implementation behavior and/or classloading behavior as well as where you
place log4j.jar in your container's classpath.

For instance, if you place log4j.jar in WEB-INF/lib and use child-first
classloading (ensuring that WEB-INF/lib/log4j.jar gets used rather than one
found in a parent classloader), then you will have on "blah" Logger for that
webapp.  If you have another webapp containing log4j.jar and a common library
using "blah" Logger, it will have its own independent instance of "blah"
Logger.  So, you will have 2 "blah" Loggers under the same appserver.

Let's say you have the same scenario, except you don't include log4j.jar in
WEB-INF/lib, but in some parent classloader available to both webapps.  Now
you will have a single "blah" Logger rather than 2.

There are more scenarios, but I'll stop there.  You might also want to
read....

http://wiki.apache.org/logging-log4j/AppContainerLogging

Is that helpful?

Jake