Posted to dev@daffodil.apache.org by Steve Lawrence <sl...@apache.org> on 2020/11/30 18:25:31 UTC

[DRAFT] Daffodil Podling Report - December 2020

## Daffodil

Apache Daffodil is an implementation of the Data Format Description
Language (DFDL) used to convert between fixed format data and XML/JSON.

Daffodil has been incubating since 2017-08-27.

### Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

1. Increase community growth and participation beyond Owl (main
   priority)
2. Work with other Apache projects where Daffodil could provide extra
   functionality
3. Continue frequent release schedule

### Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

* None

### How has the community developed since the last report?

* Pull requests merged from three first-time contributors (one non-Owl)
* Continued involvement in mailing lists
  * dev: 167 emails sent by 22 people, divided into 43 topics,
    49 subscribers (+17)
  * users: 14 emails sent by 5 people, divided into 9 topics,
    59 subscribers (+16)
* Owl is continuing to encourage other companies with known Daffodil
  interests to make public contributions and increase involvement
* Smooks (https://www.smooks.org) 2.0.0-M2 has been released with
  Daffodil integration

### How has the project developed since the last report?

* Released Daffodil 3.0.0
* 44 commits merged from 10 different contributors
* 55 issues created, 54 issues resolved
* Changes include SAX support, ability to stream data larger than
  available memory, reduced memory usage, improved diagnostics, and
  numerous bug fixes
* Upcoming changes include support for parser/unparser code generation
  and improved validation with new APIs and plugability

### How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

- [ ] Initial setup
- [ ] Working towards first release
- [X] Community building
- [ ] Nearing graduation
- [ ] Other:

### Date of last release:

2020-11-20

### When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

* 2020-06-15 - John Interrante (PPMC)
* 2019-11-26 - Olabusayo Kilo (Committer)
* 2019-06-20 - Brandon Sloane (PPMC)

### Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

* Yes, recently helped to find a third mentor which should help the
  release process.

### Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

* No known cases of a 3rd party incorrectly using the Daffodil
  name/brand
* Podling name search has been completed and approved by Brand
  Management Committee:
  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PODLINGNAMESEARCH-147

Re: [DRAFT] Daffodil Podling Report - December 2020

Posted by Kevin Ratnasekera <dj...@gmail.com>.
Hi Steve,

Thank you for submitting the report. I have signed off the report.

Regards
Kevin