Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Trevor Nicholls <tr...@castingthevoid.com> on 2010/08/17 16:53:14 UTC

font variance across platforms?

Hi

I am using fop 0.95. In a couple of locations my current document uses this:

       <fo:character character="&#x260E;" font-family="ZapfDingbats" />

to insert a special character in the text. When I view the PDF in Adobe
Reader on Windows I see the expected glyph (a telephone symbol), but I have
been alerted to the fact that some users displaying this document under
X-Windows on Linux are not seeing the correct symbol. How do I tell fop to
embed the font (or at least the particular characters used in the document)
so that the generated PDF is truly platform independent?

Cheers
Trevor

RE: font variance across platforms?

Posted by Trevor Nicholls <tr...@castingthevoid.com>.
Hi Vincent

The telephone glyph appears as a diamond superimposed on a diagonal cross. Another glyph I use (U+2709) as an email symbol appears as a large U.

But I have discovered that these characters are being displayed correctly by Adobe Reader on Linux. The viewer with the problem is using Evince's document viewer. I see the same erroneous characters when I use that same viewer.

It seems that this has ceased to be a fop issue - but thank you for the link you gave below. If we can't find out what is wrong with the Evince application I will give it a try.

Cheers
Trevor

Posted by Vincent Hennebert <vh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Trevor,