Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Glenn R Heard Jr <gh...@zoominternet.net> on 2005/06/14 17:57:21 UTC

difference between start-commit and pre-commit hooks

Is there a big difference in checking the user credentials in the
start-commit versus the pre-commit hooks? I noticed in the hook templates
that a form of auth check is done in both hooks. Currently I do mine in the
pre-commit hook.

Glenn Heard             gheard@altronicinc.com
Software Engineer       gheard@zoominternet.net
Altronic Inc.           rayzer@zoominternet.net
ICQ: 123194600          www.altronicinc.com
Y!: glennheard
---
Documentation; The worst part of programming.

Re: difference between start-commit and pre-commit hooks

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Jun 14, 2005, at 12:57 PM, Glenn R Heard Jr wrote:

> Is there a big difference in checking the user credentials in the
> start-commit versus the pre-commit hooks? I noticed in the hook
> templates
> that a form of auth check is done in both hooks. Currently I do
> mine in the
> pre-commit hook.

The only difference is when the user is booted out.

If the user is rejected by the start-commit hook, then nothing
happens in the repository at all.

If the user is booted by the pre-commit hook, then the user has
already built a transaction tree in the repository, and it's only one
step away from becoming a revision.  If pre-commit fails, then the
whole repository transaction is aborted.