Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Marco Schulze <nl...@users.sourceforge.net> on 2006/07/27 13:30:28 UTC

Statistics: Code lines removed, added, changed

Hello *,

we were using CVS with CVS Monitor for years and switched to SVN a few
months ago. Despite of intense search, we did not find any statistics
tool that was revealing the most interesting: the number of code lines
removed/added/changed. After analyzing one of these statistics tools, I
came to the conclusion that the problem is a subversion issue: the "svn
log" does not contain these numbers!

Is that an architectural flaw? Doesn't SVN have this statistical
information? Or can the "svn log" command be easily extended to show
these numbers?

If so, shall I open an issue in the SVN issue tracking? I need a buddy
;-) according to http://subversion.tigris.org/project_issues.html

Best regards, Marco :-)

Re: Statistics: Code lines removed, added, changed

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
On 7/27/06, Marco Schulze <nl...@users.sf.net> wrote:
> Hello *,

Hi, dispite Ryan's answer already being sent, I'd also like to respond:

> we were using CVS with CVS Monitor for years and switched to SVN a few
> months ago. Despite of intense search, we did not find any statistics
> tool that was revealing the most interesting: the number of code lines
> removed/added/changed. After analyzing one of these statistics tools, I
> came to the conclusion that the problem is a subversion issue: the "svn
> log" does not contain these numbers!

Exactly. SVN doesn't have these numbers, because it doesn't need them,
nor do they come as a low cost - as they do in CVS/RCS because of its
storage format.

> Is that an architectural flaw?

It's only an archetectural flaw if it was a requirement to start with.
It never was a requirement to Subversion to have these numbers
available. It's the flip side to treating texty and binary files
equal.

> Doesn't SVN have this statistical information?

No, it doesn't. Not only, but definitely also due to the fact that the
Subversion developers think these data don't actually mean anything:
Is a 1 line change less important than a 10 line change? Just add 10
lines of empty space and a 1 liner becomes more important: it's 11
lines now.

> Or can the "svn log" command be easily extended to show
> these numbers?

No.

Bye,

Erik.

Re: Statistics: Code lines removed, added, changed

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jul 27, 2006, at 15:30, Marco Schulze wrote:

> we were using CVS with CVS Monitor for years and switched to SVN a few
> months ago. Despite of intense search, we did not find any statistics
> tool that was revealing the most interesting: the number of code lines
> removed/added/changed. After analyzing one of these statistics
> tools, I
> came to the conclusion that the problem is a subversion issue: the
> "svn
> log" does not contain these numbers!
>
> Is that an architectural flaw? Doesn't SVN have this statistical
> information? Or can the "svn log" command be easily extended to show
> these numbers?

We just had this question yesterday:

http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2006-07/1012.shtml

I wrote:

> Whatever definition for [lines of code] you have (or come up with),
> you could write a tool to parse the output of svn diff, or you could
> write (or find) a program you can insert as a diff-cmd program.

Here's an earlier thread on the same topic:

http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2006-03/1271.shtml

http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2006-03/1172.shtml

In particular, this reply contains a link to a tool which may help you:

http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2006-03/1173.shtml