Posted to dev@oodt.apache.org by Tom Barber <to...@meteorite.bi> on 2016/04/03 00:45:21 UTC

OODT Website Changes (Redux)

Alright folks,

Most peope who have been on the list for a while know we moved from the
most static of static websites to Apache CMS a while ago to allow for more
regular updating and maintenance of the website.

Lewis then put a bunch of work into creating a template for the CMS website
and we revamped a lot of the content, but the CMS has a bunch of issues
both in the ease of developing a website and also in maintenance so the
Infra team are retiring it.

My personal opinion(having done some of this in my day job, and discussed
similar on some other ASF projects) is we migrate the website to gitsubpub
and Jekyll.

This will give us the ability to easily stand up the existing website on
our own laptops, or development servers make changes and deploy them. Also
without the templating system that Apache CMS enforces upon you, its  a far
quicker development cycle.

Of course we could just use standard HTML & Javascript, but part of the
reason I'd like to use Jekyll is the fact users can create content using
Markdown syntax instead of HTML and Javascript. Jekyll is a static blogging
platform, so its designed for frequent updating, and as people may have
noticed I've been blogging OODT stuff on my personal blog because the CMS
is a pain to update.

Has anyone got an opinion? It feels like we did stage one which was make
the website easier to update, but stage two is to make the process a lot
easier, and standardised.

Cheers

Tom

Re: OODT Website Changes (Redux)

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
Each module has a site package. The documentation in these packages needs
to be brought back in to the mix again as well.

--
*Lewis*

Re: OODT Website Changes (Redux)

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
Yep Tom.
BOOM
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OODT/Meetups

--
*Lewis*

Re: OODT Website Changes (Redux)

Posted by Tom Barber <to...@meteorite.bi>.
Ta.

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
Sorted

--
*Lewis*

Re: OODT Website Changes (Redux)

Posted by Chris Mattmann <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tom Barber <to...@meteorite.bi>.

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
Bingo

--
*Lewis*

Re: OODT Website Changes (Redux)

Posted by Tom Barber <to...@meteorite.bi>.

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tom,

Posted by Tom Barber <to...@meteorite.bi>.
Thanks chaps, like I said, just playing around with some layouting ideas.

I guess, knowing how long it took me to get an understanding of OODT and
what it can do for business users, that I want to make sure drive by
visitors can get an understanding as to what OODT can do for them, without
them getting thoroughly lost in a minefield of acronyms and text.

Chris mentioned no one apart from me has a massive need to rewrite the
website, I agree, and its hardly a surprise, you all come from a scientific
background and use the platform regularly, you're also consumers so your
outlook on the project is different.

When I took over the chair from SK, my unofficial aim was to use this chair
period to try and get the business users involved, my day job requires me
to drive users to our product and get them interested enough to test it,
whilst OODT isn't commercial, ultimately the goal is the same, to gain
users and community members, we need users, and we need users who don't
just work in the scientific domain. Whilst the odd person might swing by
the mailing list, in reality, 99% of users will land on the homepage, and
that is the determining factor as to whether they bother to investigate
further. Which is why I spend a lot of time prioritising stuff that doesn't
really make a lot of sense to the rest of you! :)

I'm not asking you folks to actually do anything, just as long as there in
consensus and agreement, that is good enough, but similarly I don't want to
spend ages doing something that will get undone, which is why this
discussion is taking place.

---

Lewis, good to hear about the mobile stuff, I hadn't got that far yet,
bootstrap should keep it pretty much cross device compatible, but these
things always take a bit of tweaking.

Tom

On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 1:08 AM, Lewis John Mcgibbney <

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.

--
*Lewis*

Re: OODT Website Changes (Redux)

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (3980)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.

Posted by Tom Barber <to...@meteorite.bi>.

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (3980)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Understood, OK Tom.

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Chief Architect

Posted by Tom Barber <to...@meteorite.bi>.

Posted by Chris Mattmann <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
Steam ahead captain

--
*Lewis*

Re: OODT Website Changes (Redux)

Posted by Tom Barber <to...@meteorite.bi>.

Posted by Tom Barber <to...@meteorite.bi>.
Indeed Val

Posted by "Mallder, Valerie" <Va...@jhuapl.edu>.

Posted by Tom Barber <to...@meteorite.bi>.

Posted by Tom Barber <to...@meteorite.bi>.
Hey Val,

Posted by "Mallder, Valerie" <Va...@jhuapl.edu>.
I am not familiar with Jekyll, but I disagree with using markdown. Why must we write in any kind of markup language? That would suck. Why not just use a better CMS? There are plenty out there. I personally develop websites in Wordpress. It's free and very easy to use. You can edit posts in a WYSIWYG editor. You can also copy-paste from a Word doc into the post. Just my opinion.

Sent with Good (www.good.com)