Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Matt Kettler <mk...@comcast.net> on 2005/12/27 07:55:56 UTC

Re: --lint "fails": Lots of "warn: config: warning: description exists for non-existent rule" messages with SpamAssassin 3.1.0 on Gentoo with de_DE locale

At 05:32 PM 12/26/2005, Alexander Skwar wrote:
>Hi!
>
>Well, subject says it all, doesn't it? :)
>
>When I run "LC_ALL=de_DE spamassassin --lint" on my Gentoo Linux
>system, I get the following output:
>
>[7526] warn: config: warning: description exists for non-existent rule
>SPF_HELO_PASS
>[7526] warn: config: warning: description exists for non-existent rule
>HASHCASH_HIGH

<snip>

>[7526] warn: lint: 20 issues detected, please rerun with debug enabled for
>more information
>
>When I run --lint with a different locale (like none at all, ie. LC_ALL=C),
>I don't get any of those warning messages.
>
>Those messages are in so far a problem, as they'll cause the RulesDuJour
>from <http://www.exit0.us/index.php?pagename=RulesDuJour> to not work.
>
>Actually, I don't quite understand why I get those warnings. On my
>system, eg. HASHCASH_HIGH is referenced in the following files:
>
>/usr/share/spamassassin/25_hashcash.cf
>/usr/share/spamassassin/30_text_de.cf
>/usr/share/spamassassin/50_scores.cf

Ahh, but in 50_scores.cf and 25_hashcash.cf the references are surrounded
by an ifplugin line that prevents them from being parsed if the hashcash
support plugin isn't loaded:

Such as this bit from 50_scores.cf:

# Hashcash
ifplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Hashcash
score HASHCASH_20 -0.500
score HASHCASH_21 -0.700
score HASHCASH_22 -1.000
score HASHCASH_23 -2.000
score HASHCASH_24 -3.000
score HASHCASH_25 -4.000
score HASHCASH_HIGH -5.000
score HASHCASH_2SPEND 0.100
endif # Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Hashcash

It seems that 30_text_de.cf has a bug in that it is missing the ifplugin
commands.

You would seem to have 3 possible remedies:

1) load all the plugins in question (SPF, uribl, and hashcash) to make the
warnings go away by activating those rulesets. This could be bad because
it's enabling features you might not want. However, if it's accidental that
any are disabled, this would be the time to enable them in init.pre or
v310.pre. (uribl is normally on by default, so I suspect you intentionally
have this off)

2) remove the offending lines from 30_text_de.cf. This is a slightly bad
fix, because if you enable the features later, you'll only have English
descriptions. However, it's also easy.

3) surround all the offending lines in the above file with proper ifplugin
and endif commands. This is a good fix, as if you enable the features later
you'll get the german descriptions, but it's also a lot of work.