Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Mi...@wellsfargo.com on 2004/10/12 01:11:55 UTC

Back Button Woes!!!!

How do I get rid of this page being shown every time I click the back button:

Warning: Page has Expired
The page you requested was created using information you submitted in a form. This page is no longer available. As a security precaution, Internet Explorer does not automatically resubmit your information for you.

To resubmit your information and view this Web page, click the Refresh button.

Re: OT Re: Back Button Woes!!!!

Posted by Rick Reumann <st...@reumann.net>.
Craig McClanahan wrote the following on 10/12/2004 2:16 AM:

> It seems, though, that the grandfather ran into a roadblock.  As he
> related the story, the grandfather said, "You know, there's something
> wrong with this computer.  Most of the time, when I fill out a form,
> it shows me exactly what I'm typing.  But, once in a while, no matter
> *what* I type, it only shows '*' characters ..."

Well almost correct.. it's worse because the generation gap wasn't
'that' bad - that story was MY dad! (for real). I posted that message to
this list first actually a couple months ago (it's in the archives).
Guess it's making it to other blogging sites now. My dad is famous. way
to go dad!

On a related note, my mom, who isn't much better off... I set them up
with firefox and they couldn't figure out how to enter in a URL and "get
it to work" since they didn't see a "Go" button that they were used to
pressing with IE:) They didn't realize you could just hit enter after
typing in the address. (I love explaining these things over the phone to
them .. fun fun:)

--
Rick

Re: OT Re: Back Button Woes!!!!

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 01:48:06 -0400, Rick Reumann <st...@reumann.net> wrote:
> Andrew Hill wrote the following on 10/12/2004 1:13 AM:
> > I dunno mate. I wouldnt rule out client-side Java completely.
>
> Oh I wouldn't either. I think it'll be used more and more especially in
> corporate applications. I just don't think it'll replace web-based
> e-commerce sites etc. Is grandma Jones going to really want to install a
> desktop application on her computer so she can order some birdseed or
> knitting needles? (She's probably scared enough to even use her credit
> card:)

Since this thread is labelled OT already :-), I'm compelled to relate
an incident that I saw on a blog (which I unfortunately didn't keep
the link for).

It seems that a developer wanted to get his grandparents involved in
the Internet, so he went out and researched a good PC for them, set it
up with all the latest software, and painstakingly helped them through
the basic concepts of surfing the Net and so on.

It seems, though, that the grandfather ran into a roadblock.  As he
related the story, the grandfather said, "You know, there's something
wrong with this computer.  Most of the time, when I fill out a form,
it shows me exactly what I'm typing.  But, once in a while, no matter
*what* I type, it only shows '*' characters ..."

Craig

PS:  This post is actually a little wistful ... I showed *my*
grandfather one of the first "transportable" computers -- a Kaypro 10
-- and his eyes absolutely lit up with excitement.  Unfortunately, he
died only a couple of years later and didn't get to see the incredible
revolution that computing has wrought on the world.

Re: OT Re: Back Button Woes!!!!

Posted by Rick Reumann <st...@reumann.net>.

Re: OT Re: Back Button Woes!!!!

Posted by Eddie Bush <ea...@swbell.net>.
Good to know, Andrew!  Thanks for the FYI :-)

Posted by Andrew Hill <an...@gridnode.com>.

Re: OT Re: Back Button Woes!!!!

Posted by Rick Reumann <st...@reumann.net>.
Frank W. Zammetti wrote the following on 10/12/2004 12:01 AM:

> I do a whole lot with frames-based designs, especially the idea of one
> of the frames being "hidden", which allows for caching of data, which
> allows for a lot of functionality with the server's input (i.e., sorting
> tables and such).

<snip>
, I'm surprised more people
> aren't taking this approach.

Actually there is a whole framework that uses this approach
http://www.nextapp.com/products/echo/ Some other guys in another
department are using it and it looked like a NIGHTMARE to me:) Then
again maybe they think Struts is a nightmare:) Any simple gui changes
for them were a big deal though (but then again maybe they were new to
the framework).

--
Rick

Re: OT Re: Back Button Woes!!!!

Posted by Michael McGrady <mi...@michaelmcgrady.com>.
Really interesting, Frank.  Thanks a million.  Michael McGrady

Re: OT Re: Back Button Woes!!!!

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
+1.

[...]

of control over the clients touching your app, I'm surprised more people
aren't taking this approach.

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect

Re: OT Re: Back Button Woes!!!!

> Vic Cekvenich wrote the following on 10/11/2004 7:34 PM:
>> "Walk toward the light"
>> http://theserverside.com/articles/article.tss?l=RiA
>
> Vic, I briefly read over the article. I agree that we'll see more and more
> rich clients, but one of the problems is people aren't going to want to
> always install stuff on their desktop in order to run an application - so
> I wouldn't go so far as to say HTML will be "dead." Flash is nice because
> it runs almost seemlessly within the browser since the plugin is so easy
> to install. I'm not convinced, yet, that something like Java Desktop will
> be that ubiquitous that it will replace the likes of the browser as a
> client.
>
> --
> Rick

---

Re: OT Re: Back Button Woes!!!!

Posted by Hubert Rabago <hr...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 23:28:10 -0400, Rick Reumann <st...@reumann.net> wrote:
> Vic, I briefly read over the article. I agree that we'll see more and
> more rich clients, but one of the problems is people aren't going to
> want to always install stuff on their desktop in order to run an
> application - so I wouldn't go so far as to say HTML will be "dead."
> Flash is nice because it runs almost seemlessly within the browser since

One thing I'd like to try in the future is the Laszlo platform.
http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=29237
The demos look good, and it uses Flash on the client, which I think is
easier to rely on than Java.

Hubert

OT: RiA/Soa - was OT Re: Back Button Woes!!!!

Posted by Vic Cekvenich <ce...@portalvu.com>.
Rick Reumann wrote:
> Vic Cekvenich wrote the following on 10/11/2004 7:34 PM:
>
>> "Walk toward the light"
>> http://theserverside.com/articles/article.tss?l=RiA
>

> Vic, I briefly read over the article.

I was hoping people would do the 3 pages of code to check out, or
download it. It's for programing more than reading.

I agree that we'll see more and
> more rich clients,

Oh, yeah!

but one of the problems is people aren't going to
> want to always install stuff on their desktop in order to run an
> application

Yes, if somone coded it, you'd realize that people don't have to do
that. JNLP and netx, etc.  make it just as easy. We both have the same
clients, and I am aware of those issues.

  - so I wouldn't go so far as to say HTML will be "dead."

Of course, existing projects need to be maintained. But new projects
that take 6 months to develop and one would operate for 3 years to get
ROI. I suggest that a year from now you want to say that you have 12
monhts of RiA/SoA experience. HTML is a 10 year old technology, and all
technolgies have early adopteros and late adaptors. In '93, 1% of
internet traffic was http, people could not belive that it would take over.
No need to learn new HTML skill I think, like bying a portelt book, you
won't get use out it.

> Flash is nice because it runs almost seemlessly within the browser since
> the plugin is so easy to install.

Yes, Flash runs in a borwser. What if JDNC let you bypass the browser.
The thing about disruptive techologies is that no one sees them coming.
Like FM radio, all the big borcasters could not belive it.

I'm not convinced, yet, that something
> like Java Desktop will be that ubiquitous that it will replace the likes
> of the browser as a client.

Some RiA will end up dominating. Candiates include Flash, XAML, JDNC,
XUL, Visual Basic, ....

I see advantages of JDNC, so please consider witing a hello world.
My predction: Within 6 months there will be tutorial on your site of how
to do "RiA".

;-)
.V

Re: OT Re: Back Button Woes!!!!

Posted by Rick Reumann <st...@reumann.net>.

OT Re: Back Button Woes!!!!

Posted by Vic Cekvenich <ce...@portalvu.com>.
"Walk toward the light"
http://theserverside.com/articles/article.tss?l=RiA

If people have a choice, above in alternative. Bypass the browser!
.V

Re: Back Button Woes!!!!

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
Set <controller cache="false" /> in struts-config... When the user
triess to go back, they'll get a page expiration notice.  Not the most
user-friendly idea, but it'll stop most data corruption issues.

Re: Back Button Woes!!!!

Posted by Hubert Rabago <hr...@gmail.com>.