Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Stack <st...@duboce.net> on 2013/08/15 23:25:21 UTC

VOTE: hbase-0.95.2 release candidate 0 is available for download

Here is our first 0.95.2 release candidate.  Should we put this out as 0.95.
2?

Since 0.95.2 is a "Development" Series release [1], so lets keep the vote
period short.  Please vote by this Monday, August 19th.  The release has to
just basically "work".

The release artifacts may be downloaded from:

  http://people.apache.org/~stack/hbase-0.95.2RC0/

~340 issues have been closed since we put out 0.95.1 [2].

All feedback is welcome.  We'd be interested in getting comments on
everything from the packaging, layout, through documentation, UI, and of
course,
any bugs found.  I deployed to maven [3] and would particularly like
to hear from downstream projects on whether our maven packaging is
palatable.

This is the last in the 0.95 series of development releases.  You can think
of this
release as a 0.96.0-beta.  No more features will come in on the 0.95
branch.  Only
fixes and polish are allowed from here on out.  I intend to branch 0.96
from 0.95
branch next week and put up a 0.96.0RC0 soon after.

Thanks,
St.Ack

1. http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#hbase.versioning
2.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=fixVersion%20%3D%20%220.95.2%22%20AND%20project%20%3D%20HBASE%20ORDER%20BY%20issuetype%20DESC%2C%20priority%20DESC
3.
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/releases/org/apache/hbase/hbase/

Re: VOTE: hbase-0.95.2 release candidate 0 is available for download

Posted by Elliott Clark <ec...@apache.org>.
+1 downloaded and ran lots of tests.

Lots of issues were filed and fixed but for a developer release
nothing was a blocker.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Jonathan Hsieh <jo...@cloudera.com>.
+1.

I tested the hadoop2 buid on on cdh 4.0.1 hadoop2, using the snapshot
testing rig I setup when hardening the feature..

It runs an performance evaluation adding data to a table while online
snapshotting that table and cloning it.  It seems happy.  :)

Jon.

--
// Jonathan Hsieh (shay)
// Software Engineer, Cloudera

Re: VOTE: hbase-0.95.2 release candidate 0 is available for download

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
Thanks JD.

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Disregard earlier mail. Patch on issue. Adds some coverage to TestShell for
this.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: VOTE: hbase-0.95.2 release candidate 0 is available for download

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
That's not a namespaces issue per se, that's something introduced by the
new list tables API. In 0.94, it returns table names as String. Originally
I did it that way for 0.95/0.96 but TableName is used for other name
related APIs, so was inconsistent, so I changed it. I did not notice the
breakage and we don't have coverage for that in TestShell. In this case I
think we should relax the check in TableName because system table names can
have "illegal" characters. Or, I can have the list tables API in 0.95/0.96
return String like 0.94.

Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: VOTE: hbase-0.95.2 release candidate 0 is available for download

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 12:38 PM, Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> Stack - you guys planning on pulling in the move to protobuf-2.5 into
> this? Thanks.

If so, we should have another point release that targets Hadoop 2.1.x. If I
change the build to use a 2.1 SNAPSHOT, there are a bunch of new test
failures, looks like just about anything that touches MR is broken.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: VOTE: hbase-0.95.2 release candidate 0 is available for download

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 12:38 PM, Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> Stack - you guys planning on pulling in the move to protobuf-2.5 into
> this? Thanks.

Not into 'this' Mighty Arun but into a later release -- the actual 0.96.0RC
or it looks like folks are rumbling about a possible 0.95.3.

It looks like the pb stuff is fine but as Andrew says, 2.1.0-beta RC breaks
a bunch of unit tests; investigating.

St.Ack

Re: VOTE: hbase-0.95.2 release candidate 0 is available for download

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: VOTE: hbase-0.95.2 release candidate 0 is available for download

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Devaraj Das <dd...@hortonworks.com>.
Basics worked fine. I raised

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 7:48 PM, Sergey Shelukhin <se...@hortonworks.com>wrote:

> Given that this can potentially be the base release for 96, should we
> wait for HBASE-8165 (protobuf upgrade to 2.5) to go in?
> Hadoop 2.1.0-beta release vote is currently ongoing.
>
> On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 2:25 PM, Stack <st...@duboce.net> wrote:
> > Here is our first 0.95.2 release candidate.  Should we put this out as
> 0.95.
> > 2?
> >
> > Since 0.95.2 is a "Development" Series release [1], so lets keep the vote
> > period short.  Please vote by this Monday, August 19th.  The release has
> > just basically "work".
> >
> > The release artifacts may be downloaded from:
> >
> >   http://people.apache.org/~stack/hbase-0.95.2RC0/
> >
> > ~340 issues have been closed since we put out 0.95.1 [2].
> >
> > All feedback is welcome.  We'd be interested in getting comments on
> > everything from the packaging, layout, through documentation, UI, and of
> > course,
> > any bugs found.  I deployed to maven [3] and would particularly like
> > to hear from downstream projects on whether our maven packaging is
> > palatable.
> >
> > This is the last in the 0.95 series of development releases.  You can
> think
> > of this
> > release as a 0.96.0-beta.  No more features will come in on the 0.95
> > branch.  Only
> > fixes and polish are allowed from here on out.  I intend to branch 0.96
> > from 0.95
> > branch next week and put up a 0.96.0RC0 soon after.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > St.Ack
> >
> > 1. http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#hbase.versioning
> > 2.
> >
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=fixVersion%20%3D%20%220.95.2%22%20AND%20project%20%3D%20HBASE%20ORDER%20BY%20issuetype%20DESC%2C%20priority%20DESC
> > 3.
> >
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/releases/org/apache/hbase/hbase/
>
> --
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: VOTE: hbase-0.95.2 release candidate 0 is available for download

Posted by Sergey Shelukhin <se...@hortonworks.com>.