Posted to dev@sedona.apache.org by Shantanu Aggarwal <sh...@gmail.com> on 2021/04/18 17:25:06 UTC

Contributing Apache Sedona(Raster Dataframes)

Hello All,

I am a current graduate student at Arizona State University and wanted to
propose raster data frames written in Pyspark that can be incorporated in
Apache Sedona to load satellite images and be able to perform various map
algebra operations on it.

How can I add my constructors as a part of the Python folder? Is there a
separate guide on how to contribute?

Hope to hear from you soon!

Very Respectfully
Shantanu Aggarwal
Masters In Science
Arizona State University

Re: Contributing Apache Sedona(Raster Dataframes)

Posted by Jia Yu <ji...@apache.org>.
Hi Shantanu,

First, thanks for your contribution. If your code is implemented in Python,
unfortunately, Sedona Python folder currently only has a number of wrappers
around our Java JVM objects. The design goal is to make sure that once we
implement new APIs in Scala/Java, Sedona Python will be able to easily port
these APIs.

To move forward, I would suggest that

1. Sedona Binder Example Notebooks. If your implementation is purely in
Python or JupyterNotebook, you can make a PR to put it in our Binder folder
along with a JupyterNotebook example (see
https://github.com/apache/incubator-sedona/tree/master/binder). Please try
to keep your core Python functions in .py files such that others can easily
download and import them into their notebooks. The user can also enjoy this
func immediately by clicking our "Launch Binder" icon.

2. After Step 1, you can try to create a folder called "raster" in Sedona
Python and move your .py files there. Then, make another PR. Note that,
this will require detailed test cases for different scenarios such as
file:// and hdfs:// path prefix.

Because Step 2 will take some time to finish and our Scala or Java API
won't be able to share this functionality, the better choice will be
implementing these functions in Sedona SQL (written in Scala, you may want
to use GeoTools for reading rasters locally). But it is up to you depending
on how much time you have.

Thank you again for the contribution!

Jia

Posted by Mo Sarwat <th...@gmail.com>.
Shantanu,

Posted by "Fitch, Simeon" <fi...@astraea.io>.
Shantanu,

--
Simeon Fitch
Co-founder & VP of R&D

Re: Contributing Apache Sedona(Raster Dataframes)

Posted by Jim Hughes <jh...@ccri.com>.
Hi Shantanu,