Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Geoff Varney <ge...@ridge.k12.wa.us> on 2005/11/03 20:08:48 UTC

How to verify SA options being used by spamc from remote host

Hi,
I am using SpamAssassin in a way I believe is different from most users.
I have an IMail server (Windows 2003) which uses Declude JunkMail and a spamc
client (spamc32) to connect to a spamd server on my Redhat FC3 box.  It is
working well in that I am getting spam reported by SA when invoking the
spamc32 client from JunkMail.  However, I am not certain that it is working
altogether the way it should.  I have trainied SA with both SPAM and HAM
(several hundred SPAMs at least and a few hundred HAMs) but wonder how I can
be CERTAIN that spamc32 is actually using the bayes database.

Maybe someone can tell me if this makes any sense at all:
I create an email message and send it to a recipient and it is scanned by SA
and found clean with a particular score.  If I then feed that to sa-learn as
SPAM and then resend the same message again, should it NECESSARILY have a
different score, or is bayes looking at some many different things that it
COULD score the same?  In my test it scored the same.

Here's how I am set up:

I start spamd with a -u spamd user.  When I run spamc32 I also run as this
user.  I don't believe the user piece is necessary in my case, I see no
difference when I use it vs. not.

I am trying to use a global setup, so all prefs are in the local.cf.  There is
also a user.prefs file in /root/.spamassassin, which is also where the bayes
db is.  Running spamassassin --lint -D does report it's using those
locations.  If it would help I can provide the whole output of that.

I also don't see any additional info such as a header rewrite when a message
scores 5 or more.  Is this something that won't happen due to the way I'm
using SA?

I'm just not sure how I can verify what my spamc client is doing with spamd.
Is it doing the basic default SA stuff and none of the stuff in my local.cf
somehow?

More info:

SA version 3.0.4

local.cf: