Posted to dev@kylin.apache.org by KylinPOC <sa...@gmail.com> on 2016/01/15 16:56:03 UTC

Kylin capabilities

Hi Kylin Team,

I have a few questions around capabilities of Kylin.

Does Kylin provide slicing and dicing capabilities on cubes?

Does Kylin offer nesting dimensions or hierarchies?

Other than SQL, can users use Kylin cube with drag and drop functionality
(something similar to the OLAP cubes in the traditional world)?

Is MDX (Multi-dimensional functions) supported in Kylin? (This is a standard
functionality of exiting OLAP tools).

Does Kylin provide role based security (who sees what data) and object level
security (who sees which dimensions)

Can existing HBase table be directly leveraged by Kylin for cubes and
suppose the HBase table was not created from any Hive Star schema.

Thanks.

Re: Kylin capabilities

Posted by hongbin ma <ma...@apache.org>.
hi, santoshskulkarni75

I took a brief look at your video, it seems to me that "slicing and dicing,
nesting, drill-ups and drill-downs" is same as what Tableau+Kylin can help
to achieve.
For now Kylin is focusing on data cubing, and we don't intend to do
visualization like tableau.

kylin provides users with SQL interface, user does not need to worry
about "slicing
and dicing, nesting, drill-ups and drill-downs"  at all, kylin cubing job
takes care of it.

On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 3:12 PM, KylinPOC <sa...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks everyone for your response. If we say Kylin is Multi-dimensional
> OLAP,
> slicing and dicing, nesting, drill-ups and drill-downs are really required
> because these are true multi-dimensional OLAP capabilities.
>
> For reference:
>
> IBM Dynamic Cubes
> http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg248064.pdf
>
> Nesting:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADUOr1HeeRY
>
> Once the cube is built users should be able to drag and drop dimensions and
> facts(measures) to do analysis. These capabilities can be included as
> Improvements. (or this is left to tools like Tableau on top of Kylin?)
>
> Does Kylin support multi-fact tables with conformed dimensions?
>
> And, is time dimension mandatory for Kylin cube? What if for some specific
> use case time dimension is not required? Can we still create a cube?

*Bin Mahone | 马洪宾*
Apache Kylin: http://kylin.io
Github: https://github.com/binmahone

Re: Kylin capabilities