Posted to dev@nutch.apache.org by Stefan Groschupf <sg...@media-style.com> on 2006/07/20 22:09:24 UTC

nutch-extensionpoints not in plugin.includes

Hi developers,

in nutch-default.xml property plugin.includes we say: "  In any case
you need at least include the nutch-extensionpoints plugin."
But we do not include it by default.
    <value>protocol-http|urlfilter-regex|parse-(text|html|js)|index-
basic|query-(basic|site|url)|summary-basic|scoring-opic</value>
We may be should update the text or include the plugin everything
else may be confuse users.

Should I open a bug or can someone with write access just jump in and
fix that.

Thanks,
Stefan

Re: nutch-extensionpoints not in plugin.includes

Posted by Stefan Groschupf <sg...@media-style.com>.
> I may - but since you know the details of the plugin subsystem,
> tell me what _should_ be there? I.e. should we really include it in
> the plugin.includes list, or not?

This is a philosophically question.
I personal prefer restrict definitions, since applications behavior
is better traceable. That was a reason I implemented the plugin
system in a restrict way.
Later on this was washed out by the plugin.auto-activation mechanism,
what I still think was not a good move.

However in the moment we have the situation that nutch-
extensionpoints is not included but the the auto activation mechanism
includes this plugin since it is used by all other plugins.
So if you switch of auto activation today with default configured
plugin-includes nutch will crash.
My person point of view is to add nutch-extensionpoints and switch
off auto activation. .. but this is just my personal point of view...

Posted by Andrzej Bialecki <ab...@getopt.org>.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><