Posted to users@openjpa.apache.org by Jerry Carter <je...@jerrycarter.org> on 2011/11/15 20:33:40 UTC

Best approach for performing OpenJPA enhancement in Eclipse Indigo

I'm in the process of updating my development environment.  Anyone currently having Eclipse automatically perform enhancements?  I'd love to compare notes.

I see four routes:

(1) Custom ANT builder, as per <http://openjpa.apache.org/enhancement-with-eclipse.html>
	- Quite a few steps and needs to be done for each project.

(2) OpenJPA plugin for Eclipse, as per <http://openjpa.apache.org/enhancement-with-eclipse.html>
	- This looks dead, very dead.

(3) From Maven using the openjpa-maven-plugin, as per <http://openjpa.apache.org/enhancement-with-maven.html>
	- Possibly dead, or at least very quiet.
	- Does not appear to work in Indigo even with <https://github.com/hwellmann/m2eclipse-extras/wiki>

(4) From Maven using the maven-antrun-plugin, as per <http://openjpa.apache.org/enhancement-with-maven.html>

Did I miss anything?  Any preferred approaches?

Thanks much.

-=- Jerry

RE: Best approach for performing OpenJPA enhancement in Eclipse Indigo

Posted by Henno Vermeulen <he...@huizemolenaar.nl>.
We also run with the javaagent during development and use the openjpa-maven-plugin for creating deployable builds.

Henno

Posted by Rick Curtis <cu...@gmail.com>.
Jerry -

--
*Rick Curtis*

Re: Best approach for performing OpenJPA enhancement in Eclipse Indigo

Posted by Harald Wellmann <hw...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Rick,

I think there's some misunderstanding... Your links seem to refer to the
OpenJPA Eclipse plugin

   http://openjpa.apache.org/openjpaeclipseinstallation.html

which I've never used, and I don't think I could be of much help with that.

My m2e Extension for OpenJPA depends on Maven, the openjpa-maven-plugin,
and the Maven Eclipse integration m2e 1.0.

This assumes you build your projects with Maven and you have properly
configured the openjpa-maven-plugin for build-time enhancement in your POM.

Now when importing your Maven project into Eclipse, without the m2e
Extension, Eclipse (not Maven) will recompile an entity class whenever
you change and save the source file in the IDE, and this class will be
unenhanced by default.

The m2e extension intercepts build events coming from Eclipse and then
makes m2e invoke the appropriate Maven goal (openjpa:enhance in this
case) to postprocess the classes compiled by Eclipse.

I'm not an expert on m2e, so this is currently nothing but a "works for
me" solution.

Any feedback is welcome, to help improve this extension, should there be
any problems in other environments.

Best regards,
Harald

Posted by Rick Curtis <cu...@gmail.com>.
Harold -

Your setup is perfectly valid and if it works for you, great! OpenJPA uses
build time enhancement as we have lots of automated builds that don't see
the light of Eclipse and as such what we have works good enough...

Now if you're looking to help contribute to problems with the enhancer
plugin, we'd be more than willing to have some help! There are a number of
JIRAs that have been opened for problems with the existing implementation.
I'll paste a few links that contain interesting information about the
development / problems of the eclipse plugin.

Thanks,
Rick

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENJPA-1412 -- This one also links
to a number of other JIRAs.
http://markmail.org/thread/htxerfi42f76xtzi -- The net of this exchange is
that he had issues on Eclipse 3.6, I think things worked properly before
that.?

--
*Rick Curtis*

Re: Best approach for performing OpenJPA enhancement in Eclipse Indigo

Posted by Harald Wellmann <hw...@googlemail.com>.