Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Stefan Burkard <ne...@burknet.ch> on 2004/08/24 22:55:00 UTC

Has anybody SimpleDocBook as Lenya Doctype?

hi lenya-users

has anybody integrated the "SimpleDocBook" xml-format as a lenya-doctype?

i began with it for my private website (create new documents with
metadata in lenya-admin), but stopped later because the work for
integrating it with the form- or bitflux-editor seems to be huge.

at the moment i still use plain cocoon and xml-mind as a
standalone-editor for docbook-files. it's not perfect at all, but it
works well for my private website.

so if anybody, who has already done the simpledocbook-integration with
any lenya-editor, would share it, i would be very glad :-)

ps: of course, tips and examples from similiar doctypes are very
welcome, too

thanks and greetings
stefan burkard

Re: Has anybody SimpleDocBook as Lenya Doctype?

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Stefan Burkard wrote:

 > sounds great! there is already a css containing all elements provided by
 > the docbook-guru norman walsh.
 > does this mean it is not as huge work to integrate bitflux with this css?

you also need the .rng and a simple container xhtml.

http://wiki.bitfluxeditor.org/CSS
http://wiki.bitfluxeditor.org/LoadingLayout#Inline_HTML_method

and, you may want to configure bxe to not show all elements of the huge
docbook schema.

http://wiki.bitfluxeditor.org/Config.xml (at the bottom)

 >> One way out of this would be to write an XSLT (or rather two XSLTs) in
 >> order to generate these files from the DTD (or XML Schema, or RelaxNG)
 >>
 >> something like
 >>
 >> docbook.xsd -- xsd2formeditor.xsl -->  docbook.xsl
 >> docbook.xsd -- xsd2bxecss.xsl     -->  docbook.css

you would, for the sake of your sanity, start with rng.

granted that would only work for a first cut since the xsl has no
semantic knowledge to generate css styles for an element, but at least
you'd have an outline.

basically:

for each element, create a .element class in bxe, make it display:block

chregu, any thoughts on this?

 > what a nice word: WebDAV! i'm currently in progress to use jakarta slide
 > in a project as document-repository. have you got plans to use slide as
 > document-repository for lenya?
 > this way any document can have the metadata and security-credentials "on
 > it" and operating systems like mac os x and win-xp can use the
 > repository directly as a volume...

http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon-lenya/Repository

work on this would also be a worthwhile contribution..

-gregor

--
Gregor J. Rothfuss
http://wyona.com                   http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya

Re: Has anybody SimpleDocBook as Lenya Doctype?

Posted by Stefan Burkard <ne...@burknet.ch>.
> is SimpleDocBook much simpler than DocBook? (please apologize that I
> didn't really answer your question ;-)

while docbook can contain books with chapters and many other things like
table of contents, picture index and so on, simpledocbook can just have
"simple" articles.

this way any simpledocbook-file ist also a docbook-file - as melanie
already wrote, it's a subset of docbook (what is absolutely sufficent
for me) :-)

> and in the case of BXE one would have to write a CSS covering all the
> elements.

sounds great! there is already a css containing all elements provided by
the docbook-guru norman walsh.
does this mean it is not as huge work to integrate bitflux with this css?

> One way out of this would be to write an XSLT (or rather two XSLTs) in
> order to generate these files from the DTD (or XML Schema, or RelaxNG)
>
> something like
>
> docbook.xsd -- xsd2formeditor.xsl -->  docbook.xsl
> docbook.xsd -- xsd2bxecss.xsl     -->  docbook.css
>
> doesn't that sound like a cool opportunity for a cool contribution ;-)

well yes, it does absolutely. but because i'd like to focus on other
things, i asked to this group if anybode has done this before ;-)

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Stefan Burkard wrote:

> hi lenya-users
>
> has anybody integrated the "SimpleDocBook" xml-format as a lenya-doctype?

is SimpleDocBook much simpler than DocBook? (please apologize that I
didn't really answer your question ;-)

> i began with it for my private website (create new documents with
> metadata in lenya-admin), but stopped later because the work for
> integrating it with the form- or bitflux-editor seems to be huge.

well, in the case of the form editor one would have to write an XSLT
which would be covering all the elements, e.g.
.../lenya/xslt/formeditor/docbook.xsl

and in the case of BXE one would have to write a CSS covering all the
elements.

One way out of this would be to write an XSLT (or rather two XSLTs) in
order to generate these files from the DTD (or XML Schema, or RelaxNG)

something like

docbook.xsd -- xsd2formeditor.xsl -->  docbook.xsl
docbook.xsd -- xsd2bxecss.xsl     -->  docbook.css

doesn't that sound like a cool opportunity for a cool contribution ;-)

> at the moment i still use plain cocoon and xml-mind as a
> standalone-editor for docbook-files. it's not perfect at all, but it
> works well for my private website.

another solution is OpenOffice and WebDAV

All the best

Michi

> so if anybody, who has already done the simpledocbook-integration with
> any lenya-editor, would share it, i would be very glad :-)
>
> ps: of course, tips and examples from similiar doctypes are very
> welcome, too
>
> thanks and greetings
> stefan burkard

Michael Wechner