Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Knight, Digby" <Di...@hen.invesco.com> on 2004/04/01 10:09:14 UTC

Problem with Tomcat 5.0.19 and JSTL

Hi,

I've just installed Netbeans 3.6RC1 which has Tomcat 5.0.19 bundled, and it
seems to have a problem with JSTL (error below).

I've searched the Web for info, and the only thing I found (2 results in
Google) was a suggestion to upgrade Xerces and Xalan, which I've done at the
server and webapp level, but it doesn't seem to have made any difference. I
haven't installed 5.0.19 as a standalone yet, so I don't know if Netbeans
has introduced the problem, but this seems like the best place to start
looking.

Pages without JSTL work fine, and the error appears when declaring the
taglib (with or without the actual tags on the page).

System: WinXP, no Apache

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: <h3>Validation error messages from
TagLibraryValidator for c</h3><p>null: java.lang.IllegalStateException:
can't declare any more prefixes in this context</p>
        at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.DefaultErrorHandler.jspError(DefaultErrorHandler.
java:94)
        at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.dispatch(ErrorDispatcher.java:404
)
        at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.jspError(ErrorDispatcher.java:112
)
<trunc>

Any thoughts?

TIA Digby

Confidentiality Note: The information contained in this
message, and any attachments, may contain confidential
and/or privileged material. It is intended solely for the
person(s) or entity to which it is addressed. Any review,
retransmission, dissemination, or taking of any action in
reliance upon this information by persons or entities other
than the intended recipient(s) is prohibited. If you received
material from any computer.

RE: Problem with Tomcat 5.0.19 and JSTL

Posted by Tom K <tk...@cox.net>.
The key to getting Tomcat 5 to work with JSP 2.0 and expression language
is to copy the standard.jar and the jstl.jar (that already exists in
Tomcat5’s examples/lib directory)  into the lib directory you are using
for your app. You DO NOT have to edit the web.xml file at all but the
<web-app> tag must be replaced with this:

         web-app_2_4.xsd" version="2.4">
Then in your jsp page you are going to use you will have these lines at
the top of your page:
<%-- These two taglib DIRECTIVES define the
      two tag libraries used on this page--%>
   <%@ taglib prefix="c"
      uri="http://java.sun.com/jstl/core_rt" %>
   <%@ taglib prefix="sql"