Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by ALBERTO Bocchinfuso <al...@hotmail.it> on 2018/03/06 21:04:31 UTC

[Documentation] Incomplete Documentation

Hi everyone,

I am noting more and more that the API documentation is missing some functions or some fields. I can testify about the python APIs, which are the ones that I am using.
For example,
             Batch.num_rows
             Batch.num_columns
             Batch.schema
             pyarrow.concat_tables()

Are missing from the APIs, and I do thing that this can be a problem since I think that some developers (I can speak surely for myself.) are not reading arrow source code, but rely essentially on the documentation.
Even though there are traces of the existence of these functions in various other sections of the documentation, I think it is important to keep the references here<https://arrow.apache.org/docs/python/api.html> up-to date.
I’d like to pinpoint this since I think that docs are really important to help the developers and boost the diffusion of software.

Thank you,
Alberto

Re: [Documentation] Incomplete Documentation

Posted by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com>.
hi Alberto,

We are volunteer developers developing new codebases with a quite
large feature surface area. Please feel free to create JIRA issues
pointing out missing API documentation so that members of the
community can submit patches improving it.

There is already a JIRA about concat_tables, for example
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARROW-2181). Patches would be
welcome

Thank you,
Wes