Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com> on 2013/07/30 05:46:16 UTC

Why calculation of Sales tax or VAT service (CalcTax) need ProductId?

Opinions needed....

Problem:
------------
At an purchase order or invoice, when the item product Id is blank, tax
is not calculated and/or often give a screen error.

The reason:
----------------
Currently the CalcTax service has the productid as mandatory field in
the input and uses this as a key in the Item sequence.

However:
1. on the purchase order it is possible to enter order items without a
productId (Bulk)
2. when creating an invoice, it is possible to leave the productId blank
on the invoiceItem.

And an invoice or order can have a mixed list of items with and without
a productId.

Proposed solution:
-------------------------
1. add an optional Item sequence number list to the CalcTax service and
make the productItem list also optional.
2. check in the CalcTax service that least one on the two lists
(sequence or product) is provided for compatibility.
3. change the service that it works with a missing productId selecting
the tax percentage from the entity TaxAuthorityRateProduct where the
productId is null.

When no major objections i will create a Jira for this.

Regards,
Hans

AntWebsystems.com quality services for competitive rates.

Re: Why calculation of Sales tax or VAT service (CalcTax) need ProductId?

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hans,

Please create a JIRA for this.

When creating a new purchase order, the user has the opportunity to select
either bulk item (BULK_ORDER_ITEM) or work item (WORK_ORDER_ITEM) if he
doesn't order a product in the catalog. He also has the opportunity to
select a category.

BTW, what is meant by bulk in this context?

Couldn't the category selected be used as the driving factor for VAT
determination and calculation on the order? Wouldn't that make it easier to
solve?

Furthermore, when the order item is added to the order, the user has the
opportunity to change the item type. But now the user can select different
item types, namely:
- PO: Inventory (which in my view shouldn't be possible, because it is not
a product in the catalog
- PO: Supplies (to Expense)
- PO: Fixed Asset

Anyway, it seems to me that bulk item is like the PO: Supplies (to Expense)
orderitemtype and work item is like a PO: WorkEffort related orderitemtype
(which is missing, IMO).

Pierre Smits

Re: Why calculation of Sales tax or VAT service (CalcTax) need ProductId?

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.
valid point, will look into this.
thanks,
Regards,