Posted to user@ant.apache.org by John Santos-Ocampo <Jo...@ThriveMedia.com> on 2000/10/25 01:45:37 UTC

Microsoft compiler

Hi,

Would anyone know whether ANT supports Microsoft's compiler? Thanks.

John

Re: Microsoft compiler

Posted by Nico Seessle <Ni...@epost.de>.
Yes, it does (and it is in the docs).

It is possible to use different compilers. This can be selected with the
"build.compiler" property. There are three choices:

  a.. classic (the standard compiler of JDK 1.1/1.2)
  b.. modern (the new compiler of JDK 1.3)
  c.. jikes (the Jikes compiler)
  d.. jvc (the Command-Line Compiler from Microsoft's SDK for Java / Visual
J++)
OK, should be updated to "four choices" :-)

Nico

Re: Microsoft compiler

Posted by Christopher Elkins <ce...@scardini.com>.
> Hi,
>
> Would anyone know whether ANT supports Microsoft's compiler? Thanks.

<property name="build.compiler" value="jvc"/>

(http://jakarta.apache.org/cvsweb/index.cgi/~checkout~/jakarta-ant/docs/index.ht
ml?rev=1.136&content-type=text/html#javac)

--
Christopher Elkins

Re: Microsoft compiler

Posted by Nico Seessle <Ni...@epost.de>.
Posted by Peter Donald <do...@locus.apache.org>.
>> i think you're better off not using the microsoft compiler on large scale
>> projects, it's largely incompatible with "Standard" java
>>

>What is the connection between the Microsoft Java compiler and "Standard"
>Java? Is Jikes compatible with "Standard" Java 1.1 or "Standard" Java 1.2?

jikes is compatable with JLS 1.1 (or is it 1.0 ???). It is the most
compliant compiler out there. (JLS == Java language specification).
microsofts jvc is the least compatable while suns javac is in between ;)

>Or is it just so that the compiler generates bytecode according to the
>source and class files you feed to him and has nothing to do with "Standard"
>Java?

nope - it accepts a superset of features

>Note that I don't verfied this assumption, but I would think you could
>compile Java 1.2 with jvc and it should work if you run this with a 1.2 VM
>(At run-time it would fail of course, because of changed native-methods) -
>or are there any new byte-codes added in 1.2?? At least it should in most
>cases generate code which is compatible with Java 1.1.

it more has to do with allowed language constructs. jvc allows too much and
tries to optimize too much. Stuff compiled with jvc will not work on
1.2/1.3 vms (the same with stuff compiled with 1.1 javac will not work on
1.2/1.3 vms).

>Just wanted to clarify this a little bit since I'm using jvc and the
>generated classes run perfectly on Linux/AIX when you know what to avoid :-)

what version jvm are you using on linux ?

Cheers,

Pete

Re: Microsoft compiler

Posted by James Cook <ji...@iname.com>.
ROFL.

Posted by Nico Seessle <Ni...@epost.de>.
Posted by Alfonso Urdaneta <al...@malibunetworks.com>.
William McKenzie wrote:

> Just FYI, microsoft's lack of continued development on j++ is strictly a
> legal issue.  Sun refuses to allow them to include the microsoft extensions
> necessary to use COM objects (without which J++ is rather lame).

I knew it was legal, but I thought it was over with.  I disagree though
about J++ being lame without COM, it was a pretty good IDE and almost
every programmer can use it because it was like all the other IDE (C++,
etc.) that MS made, and it compiled and executed fast, and the debugger
was nice.

Alfonso.

RE: Microsoft compiler

Re: Microsoft compiler

Posted by James Duncan Davidson <du...@x180.com>.
On 10/30/00 11:11 AM, "Alfonso Urdaneta" <al...@malibunetworks.com> wrote:

> 2.  Microsoft will drop the product completely because it does nothing to
> ensure that people are forced to develop on and for the Windows platform.

3. Microsoft will (because they *have* for all intents and purposes) drop
support for Java because they've spent a lot of time and effort into C#/.NET
which is their direction forward.

--
James Duncan Davidson                                        duncan@x180.com
                                                                  !try; do()

Re: Microsoft compiler

Posted by Alfonso Urdaneta <al...@malibunetworks.com>.

RE: Microsoft compiler

Posted by Alan Gerhard <AG...@E-SyncNet.Com>.
Nico -

didn't know about -

	- java.*-classes from Microsoft and the according native-methods in the MS
	VM have some serious bugs which makes it nearly impossible to use
	serialization between MS VM's and Sun (IBM, ...) VM's

but then there's - J++ supports only java 1.1.8.
Last I heard , MS has done nothing with J++ (publicly) for over 18 months - it appears to be a dead product.

alan

Re: Microsoft compiler

Posted by Nico Seessle <Ni...@epost.de>.
> i think you're better off not using the microsoft compiler on large scale
> projects, it's largely incompatible with "Standard" java

What is the connection between the Microsoft Java compiler and "Standard"
Java? Is Jikes compatible with "Standard" Java 1.1 or "Standard" Java 1.2?
Or is it just so that the compiler generates bytecode according to the
source and class files you feed to him and has nothing to do with "Standard"
Java? Note that I don't verfied this assumption, but I would think you could
compile Java 1.2 with jvc and it should work if you run this with a 1.2 VM
(At run-time it would fail of course, because of changed native-methods) -
or are there any new byte-codes added in 1.2?? At least it should in most
cases generate code which is compatible with Java 1.1.

If you want to warn him, you should warn about

- com.ms.*-classes will mostly only run on Win32 (but for some people this
is enough and the IDE/compiler is fast AND the GUI looks like a Windows GUI)
- com.ms.wfc.*-classes have some buggy behaviour.
- MS jvc has some serious bugs which will make classes generated with it
unusable with other VM's
- java.*-classes from Microsoft and the according native-methods in the MS
VM have some serious bugs which makes it nearly impossible to use
serialization between MS VM's and Sun (IBM, ...) VM's
- <put your favorite problem here>

RE: Microsoft compiler

Posted by Alex Genadinik <al...@trapezo.com>.