Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Alex Colic <al...@pop-ware.com> on 2002/06/06 16:28:20 UTC

Still trying to get James working externally.

Hi,

thanks for everyone's help. I still have not been able to get James to send
and receive e-mail externally.
I am sure that I have missed something simple. If someone could go over the
steps below and tell me what I left out it would be appreciated.

1: I have registered a domain, myCompany.com.
2: I have the external IP of my desktop at home. I have gone into my domain
admin screens online and created a sub domain called mail.myCompany.com and
set the mx value for that domain to the ip of my home machine.
3: I have set the mx value of myCompany.com to mail.myCompany.com.
4: I have run the command ipConfig /all and got the dns ip's for my home
box. I have then gone into the james config files and set the dns element
values to those values.
5: Under the servers elements in the james config I have added
'myCompany.com'. I know have to values 'localhost' and 'myCompany.com'.
6: I have created a test user 'me'.
7: I have set up outlook to use 'localhost' as the pop3 and smtp server. I
have tried sending e-mail to me@myCompany.com. I don't get any error
messages sending this message from home but I do not receive the e-mail. If
I try to send the same e-mail from work I get an error that myCompany.com
cannot be found.

What have I missed?

Thanks for any info.

Alex