Posted to sanselan-dev@incubator.apache.org by Charles Matthew Chen <ch...@gmail.com> on 2008/07/24 08:41:31 UTC

Incubation work items

Hi,

   I was reviewing the "Incubation work items" section of the
"Sanselan Project Incubation Status" page.

http://incubator.apache.org/projects/sanselan.html

   I have the impression that many of the work items have been done or
don't apply.

"""
x. 	Make sure that the requested project name does not already exist
and check www.nameprotect.com to be sure that the name is not already
trademarked for an existing software product.
"""

   sanselan.com was indeed available; I registered it this morning.  I
can transfer this to Apache whenever it is appropriate.

"""
x. Subscribe all Mentors on the pmc and general lists.
x. Give all Mentors access to the incubator SVN repository. (to be
done by PMC chair)
x. Tell Mentors to track progress in the file
'incubator/projects/{project.name}.html'
"""

   I'm not sure where these stand.

"""
x. Check and make sure that the papers that transfer rights to the ASF
been received. It is only necessary to transfer rights for the
package, the core code, and any new code produced by the project.
"""

   I believe this paperwork was done a year ago.

"""
x. Check and make sure that the files that have been donated have been
updated to reflect the new ASF copyright.
"""

   Does this simply refer to the Apache License header in the source
files?  If so, I believe RAT has proven helpful in demonstrating that
this is done.

"""
x. Check and make sure that for all code included with the
distribution that is not under the Apache license, e have the right to
combine with Apache-licensed code and redistribute.
x. Check and make sure that all source code distributed by the project
is covered by one or more of the following approved licenses: Apache,
BSD, Artistic, MIT/X, MIT/W3C, MPL 1.1, or something with essentially
the same terms.
"""

   All of the code in the distribution is under the Apache License 2.0.

"""
x. Check that all active committers have submitted a contributors agreement.
x. Add all active committers in the STATUS file.
x. Ask root for the creation of committers' accounts on people.apache.org.
"""

   I believe this is done.

"""
x. Ask infrastructure to create source repository modules and grant
the committers karma.
x. Ask infrastructure to set up and archive Mailing lists.
x. Decide about and then ask infrastructure to setup an issuetracking
system (Bugzilla, Scarab, Jira).
x. Migrate the project to our infrastructure.
"""

   I believe this is done as well.

   Is there anything on this list we need to address?

Thanks,
  Charles

Re: Incubation work items

Posted by Charles Matthew Chen <ch...@gmail.com>.
   People have often pointed out to me what was wrong or what line(s)
needed to be changed, but I always wrote the patches myself,
previously.

Charles.

Re: Incubation work items

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.

Re: Incubation work items

Posted by Charles Matthew Chen <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jeremias,

Re: Incubation work items

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
On 25.07.2008 08:53:36 Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> On 24.07.2008 10:41:31 Charles Matthew Chen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >    I was reviewing the "Incubation work items" section of the
> > "Sanselan Project Incubation Status" page.
> >
> > http://incubator.apache.org/projects/sanselan.html
> >
> >    I have the impression that many of the work items have been done or
> > don't apply.
> >
> > """
> > x. 	Make sure that the requested project name does not already exist
> > and check www.nameprotect.com to be sure that the name is not already
> > trademarked for an existing software product.
> > """
> >
> >    sanselan.com was indeed available; I registered it this morning.  I
> > can transfer this to Apache whenever it is appropriate.
>
> I don't think that was necessary. We don't usually do that for any of
> the other projects.
>
> > """
> > x. Subscribe all Mentors on the pmc and general lists.
> > x. Give all Mentors access to the incubator SVN repository. (to be
> > done by PMC chair)
> > x. Tell Mentors to track progress in the file
> > 'incubator/projects/{project.name}.html'
> > """
> >
> >    I'm not sure where these stand.
>
> We mentors should do our jobs and update the checklist. ;-) Will do an
> update round right away.

Done some updates now. Can't publish, though: no permissions.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Incubation work items

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
On 24.07.2008 10:41:31 Charles Matthew Chen wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    I was reviewing the "Incubation work items" section of the
> "Sanselan Project Incubation Status" page.
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/projects/sanselan.html
>
>    I have the impression that many of the work items have been done or
> don't apply.
>
> """
> x. 	Make sure that the requested project name does not already exist
> and check www.nameprotect.com to be sure that the name is not already
> trademarked for an existing software product.
> """
>
>    sanselan.com was indeed available; I registered it this morning.  I
> can transfer this to Apache whenever it is appropriate.

I don't think that was necessary. We don't usually do that for any of
the other projects.

> """
> x. Subscribe all Mentors on the pmc and general lists.
> x. Give all Mentors access to the incubator SVN repository. (to be
> done by PMC chair)
> x. Tell Mentors to track progress in the file
> 'incubator/projects/{project.name}.html'
> """
>
>    I'm not sure where these stand.

We mentors should do our jobs and update the checklist. ;-) Will do an
update round right away.

> """
> x. Check and make sure that the papers that transfer rights to the ASF
> been received. It is only necessary to transfer rights for the
> package, the core code, and any new code produced by the project.
> """
>
>    I believe this paperwork was done a year ago.

Have we really done this properly? http://incubator.apache.org/guides/mentor.html#initial-provenance

> """
> x. Check and make sure that the files that have been donated have been
> updated to reflect the new ASF copyright.
> """
>
>    Does this simply refer to the Apache License header in the source
> files?  If so, I believe RAT has proven helpful in demonstrating that
> this is done.

Yes

> """
> x. Check and make sure that for all code included with the
> distribution that is not under the Apache license, e have the right to
> combine with Apache-licensed code and redistribute.
> x. Check and make sure that all source code distributed by the project
> is covered by one or more of the following approved licenses: Apache,
> BSD, Artistic, MIT/X, MIT/W3C, MPL 1.1, or something with essentially
> the same terms.
> """
>
>    All of the code in the distribution is under the Apache License 2.0.

/me nods.

> """
> x. Check that all active committers have submitted a contributors agreement.
> x. Add all active committers in the STATUS file.
> x. Ask root for the creation of committers' accounts on people.apache.org.
> """
>
>    I believe this is done.

STATUS file, where? I assume this means http://incubator.apache.org/projects/sanselan.html

> """
> x. Ask infrastructure to create source repository modules and grant
> the committers karma.
> x. Ask infrastructure to set up and archive Mailing lists.
> x. Decide about and then ask infrastructure to setup an issuetracking
> system (Bugzilla, Scarab, Jira).
> x. Migrate the project to our infrastructure.
> """
>
>    I believe this is done as well.

Yes.

>    Is there anything on this list we need to address?

Will know more when I updates the status page.

> Thanks,
>   Charles

Jeremias Maerki