Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> on 2002/12/13 14:20:38 UTC

Re: Why are people are up on Struts

12/12/2002 5:29:23 AM, Joseph Ottinger <jo...@enigmastation.com>
wrote:
>On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Ted Husted wrote:
>> Given the large community behind Struts, we do have our share
>> of zealots. And, I agree that people who believe Struts is
>> "42" are not being realistic.

>I think it goes back to a lot of people - including myself - who
>think that zealots of any stripe are retarded, and people who
>don't know any better get reminded - IRC-fashion - that there are
>other alternatives.

I think Struts may attract more than it share of zealots simply
because Craig is a friendly guy and makes people feel welcome. I
originally looked harder at Struts than other products just
because I enjoyed Craig's demeanor on the list. And, like many
others, I stuck around because people were helpful and made Struts
easier to use. When my turn came, I helped others along. The cycle
continues. People Craig and I have helped are now helping others.
(Good thing, since both of us seem swamped lately!)

This is really the essence of "Apache marketing". We do put
community before technology. Struts isn't popular because of the
Apache name or because of economic engineering by an evil empire.
It's popular because we do things the Apache Way and put people
first.

Of course, people outside the community can't see that, and so
wonder why Struts is the most popular framework when it is
arguably not the most powerful or easiest to grasp.

It's popular, because, gosh, people ~like~ us =:0)

-Ted.

Re: Why are people are up on Struts

Posted by Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>.
When I fire up "vi", it calls itself vim, so ... yes and no.  I use it
lots of times actually (for super-simple in/out type stuff) - but I
haven't really attempted to learn more about it than I already know.

--
Eddie Bush

Re: Why are people are up on Struts

Posted by micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.
The fact that you have vi does not mean you don't have vim, Eddy.  Did you
try vim?

At 01:48 PM 12/14/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>micael wrote:
>
>>Anyone who calls vim "vi" is simply not in a position to judge it.
>>Anyway, I do understand the initial ease of a GUI.  I like the speed you
>>get after spending a half-hour to an hour learning something like vim.  I
>>hate moving a mouse around and would rather do it with my fingers that
>>are already on the keyboard.
>>
>>Micael
>
>The executable on my system is still called "vi" :-) ... so I feel I'm
>justified in calling it "vi" ;-O  I too see a place for the IDEs -
>powering a plugin to enable UML-ing things is one feature that I'm finding
>attractive.  I need to get back to trying Eclipse soon -- and that
>oomoogoo plugin for UML (no that's not the exact name - the one at
>elcipseuml.org).  Plus ... refactorings etc - there are a few reasons to
>like an IDE - I don't view straight coding as one of them though ;-O
>
>--
>Eddie Bush
>

>--

Micael

you

Re: Why are people are up on Struts

Posted by Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>.

Posted by micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.

At 06:27 PM 12/14/2002 +0800, you wrote:
><snip>
>would you stick around if the first response you get when
>approaching a new community is titled "idiot.html"?
>  http://jakarta.apache.org/site/idiot.html
></snip>
>
>Rofl. I like it. ;->

Micael