Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by David Landgren <da...@landgren.net> on 2006/09/03 18:28:34 UTC

Re: criticism of our changelogs

Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
> I'm not sure I disagree technically but I personally always hate criticism
> of open-source/volunteer projects because my view is that a complaint must
> be coupled with an offer to step-up to the plate and fix the problem.

Uh, Andy Lester is not just some random open source leech. He maintains
many crucial Perl modules, so it's not like he is someone with too much
time on their hands, nor understands how large projects work.

The Perl core has its own changelog (gated to a mailing list), but
that's not what goes into the public Changes file (or rather, the
perl5xxdelta pod file for a release. The Changes file is written up by
the current pumpking, and then sent to the p5p mailing for comments,
corrections and additions. It takes about two to three weeks to get it
right.

I'm not saying SA should take (or need) as long, but the underlying
argument is quite valid: what's changed, and should I upgrade. It needs
to be a document written by a human, for humans.

> Invite him to join the project and help with documentation if he feels that
> strongly.

Uh, no, I don't think so. You know the internals, he doesn't.

David

--
hope still, a little resistance always maybe stubborn tiny lights vs.
clustering darkness forever ok? -- g!ybe

Re: criticism of our changelogs

Posted by OpenMacNews <op...@gmail.com>.