Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> on 2011/06/06 14:17:43 UTC

Re: Hadoop call graph generator

On 05/27/2011 11:58 PM, Aishwarya Venkataraman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a newbie dev. I would like to generate a call graph for Hadoop inorder
> to understand the control flow better. Is there something that an help me do
> this or merely changing the log level to debug alone might help ?
>
> Thanks,
> Aishwarya

There's a trick Log4J where you can get the logger to push out the class
and method making a log call -add

%c.%M()

to your logg pattern, e.g

log4j.appender.stdout.layout.ConversionPattern=%d{DATE} %-5p [%t]

Nobody uses this in production as it causes a stack trace to be created
for every logging op, but it's good for tracking down problems, or here,
getting an understanding of what goes where