Posted to dev@solr.apache.org by David Smiley <ds...@apache.org> on 2022/01/24 15:26:14 UTC

Re: Proposal for node configs to adhere to immutable infrastructure

There is an alternative approach to achieve the aims here, which I think is
a bit simpler.  No SOLR_VAR env; we don't need it.  Instead SOLR_HOME is
that.  Anything that goes in SOLR_HOME would be resolved with defaulting
logic off of SOLR_TIP (solr install dir) at the typical paths from there
(e.g. server/solr).  That means solr.xml, zoo.cfg, configSets, fileStore,
lib, ... -- if none of this is in SOLR_HOME, then it will be resolved
against SOLR_TIP/server/solr.  It would be fine to start Solr with an empty
SOLR_HOME for a new node (SOLR-9575).  SOLR_TIP is to be treated as
read-only.

Furthermore, SOLR_HOME ought to point to /var/solr (not /var/solr/data) and
coreRootDirectory ought to default to "data", thus keeping cores separate
from our other stuff.  This should have been done a long time ago.
Related: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-11508

Any concerns?