Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Chris Simmons <cp...@corefiling.com> on 2010/10/20 10:22:06 UTC

Grammar pools with substitution groups broken in Xerces 2.10.

  I was hoping to upgrade our application to use Xerces 2.10 in order to
get the fix for this issue:-

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XERCESJ-1323

However our application doesn't work with Xerces 2.10 (we're currently
using 2.9.1).  I think I've tracked down the problem to be the issue
logged here:-

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XERCESJ-1463

I've tested against Xerces trunk (r1024302) and everything appears fine
there at least.

As I understand things this seems like quite a serious regression to me
as anyone using a grammar cache with schemas that use substitution
groups will hit problems.  I was wondering if there's going to be a
maintenance release of the 2.10 code base to fix this?  The revision
where this was fixed didn't apply cleanly to 2.10 so its probably going
to require someone who understands the changes to carefully review them.

If not 2.10.1 when are we likely to see 2.11?

Kind regards,

Chris Simmons.

Re: Grammar pools with substitution groups broken in Xerces 2.10.

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Chris Simmons <cp...@corefiling.com> wrote on 10/20/2010 04:22:06 AM:

>   I was hoping to upgrade our application to use Xerces 2.10 in order to
> get the fix for this issue:-
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XERCESJ-1323
>
> However our application doesn't work with Xerces 2.10 (we're currently
> using 2.9.1).  I think I've tracked down the problem to be the issue
> logged here:-
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XERCESJ-1463
>
> I've tested against Xerces trunk (r1024302) and everything appears fine
> there at least.
>
> As I understand things this seems like quite a serious regression to me
> as anyone using a grammar cache with schemas that use substitution
> groups will hit problems.

It depends on what their grammar pool has already returned. If the grammar
being searched for is available in the local cache (a.k.a. grammar bucket)
they won't hit this issue.>

> I was wondering if there's going to be a
> maintenance release of the 2.10 code base to fix this?  The revision
> where this was fixed didn't apply cleanly to 2.10 so its probably going
> to require someone who understands the changes to carefully review them.
>
> If not 2.10.1 when are we likely to see 2.11?

We've discussed [1] having a 2.11.0 release at the end of November.

> Kind regards,
>
> Chris Simmons.

Thanks.

[1] http://markmail.org/message/wgp7cyqpz7ej3dnk